Author: voice_cd

Sex ratio imbalance besets China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-11-16 20:25:31 |Display all floors
Seneca,

I'm going to ask you a few questions here. Let's see if you can answer ANY of them...

"I still say a name is but a name, and whether a "lineage" dies out is competely unimportant to the nation at large and to the many others who carry the same surname."

You are cleary not a very bright person, are you? Why do you insist on telling us what YOU think about a name and if YOU think it is important or not. Why do you think your views on the importance on family lineage matters in this discussion? Would it not be more productive to discuss East Asian views on the importance of family lineage?

"You are lecturing us that we should blindly accept the outcomes of pre-modern social practice that is in obvious contradiction to the requirements of a modern society."

What?!?! Have you even read my posts? When did I EVER lecture here that we should accept sex selective abortions? You (and emucentral) should learn how to read before you start accusing people around you. Could you provide a quote where I am doing this "lecturing"?

THIS is what I'm saying: in order to tackle a problem, you need to understand it. Do you disagree with this? Your initial post was posted only to provoke and offend so don't even try to pretend to care for victims or unborn babies. Why else would you bring up your completely irrelevant and highly offensive opinions on the motifs for Chinese women marrying westerners? For your perverse pleasure of simply offending people on this forum, your post was grossly simplifying a highly complex problem that unfortunately can be seen all over East Asia. The person obfuscating and obscuring issues here is you, and you do it really sickening way.

Perhaps you could explain to the readers here what the relation is between your offensive opinions on the motifs for Chinese women marrying westerners and sex selective abortions in China?

You're eagerness to criticize and condemn leads you to miss the whole picture. Certainly, the one-child police in China (and two-child policy in Vietnam) has ascerbated the problem of sex selective abortions, but the truth is that a preference for boys existed long before this policy was enforced and it exists in many regions without the one-child policy. It is clear that the one-child policy is NOT the root of the problem (even if it is an aspect of the problem in China). Nor is the Party the root of the problem which ought to be clear to anyone but the most stupid since we find similar gender imbalances all over East Asia (e.g. South Korea, Ta!wan, India, Vietnam, ...).

Please explain why mothers in South Korea prefer sons to daughters and that South Korea ALSO has made sex selective abortions illegal if the problem is only rooted in the ills of the Party and the one-child policy?

Another question for you, if it is only an economic problem found in poor rural areas in China, why do we find similar gender imbalances in Ta!pei but not in rural Africa?

"What you are saying may hold true for a minority of very tradition-minded Chinese that have not been touched by the Party's attempts at modernising the Chinese society."

Again, you're demonstrating an almost unbelivable ignorance about China and Chinese customs. The MAIN reason for the preferance for grandsons over granddaughters is almost certainly that they will carry on the family lineage. You will find this attitude everywhere in China (both in rural and urban areas). The typical grandfather in China is MUCH more concerned with family lineage than the potential economic support he can expect from his little toddler grandchild. The parents may be more inclined to look at economic aspects than the grandparents, but family lineage certainly still matters them too. Moreover, in order to get the approval of the husband's parents (especially the father), the mother HAS to produce a son. This aspect of the problem should not be underestimated. The same naming practices and rules for family lineage are found in all East Asian countries where we see significant gender imbalances.

"I just find advocating a people's right to commit infanticides as debased as advocating female genital mutilation!"

So do I! Again, where did I (or anyone else here) advocate people's right to commit foeticide or infanticide? Are you just dumb and unable to understand the posts here, or are you accusing people in lieu or actualy arguments?

I already knew that you're not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer, but with this last post you've really oudone yourself  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-16 20:31:24 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-16 21:22:52 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-16 22:39:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by oioioi at 2007-11-16 20:25
Seneca,

I'm going to ask you a few questions here. Let's see if you can answer ANY of them...

"I still say a name is but a name, and whether a "lineage" dies out is competely u ...

oioioi, you are the Man!

You have completely mashed up seneca with your intelligence.
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-17 00:46:32 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2007-11-16 13:37
Meanwhile, your ripostes have failed to impress us in terms of caring for the victims of this macho culture. Has it never occurred to you that uncounted millions of murdered female babies' spirits are now haunting the sacred terra sinica where the males outnumber the females?

I don't know who "us" are supposed to be. Are you authorized to speak for others on CD?

Before you get too carried away in your selfaclaimed role as the defender of the victims here, perhaps you could let "us" know what YOUR posts here are doing "in terms of caring for the victims of this macho culture"? Feel free to quote passages from your previous posts...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-20 20:47:38 |Display all floors
Originally posted by oioioi at 2007-11-17 02:46
[quote] Originally posted by seneca at 2007-11-16 13:37
Meanwhile, your ripostes have failed to impress us in terms of caring for the victims of this macho culture.

I don't know who "us" are supposed to be. Are you authorized to speak for others on CD?... [/quote]
Well I agree with Seneca so in this case he is quite correct.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-20 22:05:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2007-11-20 20:47

I don't know who "us" are supposed to be. Are you authorized to speak for others on CD?...

Well I agree with Seneca so in this case he is quite correct. [/quote]

That's wonderful that you two agree, especially on such an important aspect of the discussion! As always, your own contributions in the thread have been extremely productive, and I implore you to continue to post your valuable feedback here. Are there others that have failed to impress you? Please let us know!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.