Author: voice_cd

Sex ratio imbalance besets China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-11-15 17:42:40 |Display all floors
Originally posted by sockmonkey at 2007-11-15 10:50
In many Western cultures, the girl gives up her family name and takes the family name of her husband, yet you don't see the gender imbalance here...

Yes, the importance of carrying on the family lineage through a male heir seems to be more important in East Asia than in the West. There are many differences between eastern and western cultures.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-15 18:10:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by oioioi at 2007-11-15 18:39
I am by no means trying to justify the practice. Is this too complex for you?

A more sensitively worded explanation would have been better then.

However old cultural practices are not necessarily justifiable in today's world, look at female genital mutilation practiced in some african cultures, yet another attack on the value of women.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-15 19:02:19 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2007-11-15 18:10

A more sensitively worded explanation would have been better then.

However old cultural practices are not necessarily justifiable in today's world, look at female genital mutilation practice ...

What, are you worried that I may have hurt Seneca's feelings? Perhaps HIS post could have been more sensitively worded?

Of course many old cultural practices are not justifiable in today's world. I've never claimed that they were. I am merely pointing out that gender imbalances in East Asia are, among many things, rooted cultural practices. This does not mean that such imbalances in any way can be justified. Gender imbalances are potentially devastating to any society and sex selective abortions are ethically abhorrent. Sons and daughters should be valued equally by their parents.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-15 19:56:49 |Display all floors
Originally posted by oioioi at 2007-11-15 21:02
What, are you worried that I may have hurt Seneca's feelings? ..

No, I wasn't worried about Seneca, he can certainly take care of himself, besides, I didn't see your response targetting him.
Your post appeared to justify the practice, or at least the reasoning behind it from a Chinese cultural point of view.
I was concerned that this might reflect badly on Chinese people.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-15 20:33:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2007-11-15 19:56

No, I wasn't worried about Seneca, he can certainly take care of himself, besides, I didn't see your response targetting him.
Your post appeared to justify the practice, or at least the reaso ...

I wouldn't dream of trying to justify the practice (or the reasons for the practice) of sex selective abortions. I do think it is necessary to try to fully understand the underlying reasons for the practice in order to tackle the problem effectively.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-15 23:06:38 |Display all floors

Reply #24 --- oioioi's post....

You wrote:

"I'm trying to explain that the motifs for sex selective abortions are more complex than Seneca claims. I am by no means trying to justify the practice. Is this too complex for you? "

===>  I understand the desire for some to assign greater value on male children, but dismissing female children as expendable and ignoring the murder of female fetuses is not acceptable to me.  There are many people world-wide who will gladly adopt an unwanted female child.

Do you have any suggestions for changes to current practices that will support the desire for male heirs, and also protect the life of the unborn female?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-16 11:28:20 |Display all floors

Reply #21 emucentral's post

Time to change the TOTALITARIAN rules on population control policies!

Let nature takes its course!
Allow homosexuality!
Introduce TAX incentives to prevent those who have too many children.
Make more women economically independent, educate them and provide high pay jobs.
In rural china, allow an abundance of cheap foods, make the women FAT like in USA and rural Australia, it'll reduce marriage rate and fertility!

subtle methods instead of HARSH POLICIES that make our GOVERNMENT UNPOPULAR!

ha ha ha

Green Dragon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.