Author: voice_cd

Sex ratio imbalance besets China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-11-15 10:29:26 |Display all floors

No big problem!

Just the natural way to contain excessive population increase!
So why tamper further?

Green Dragon

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-15 10:39:57 |Display all floors

to #12/13

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-15 10:50:05 |Display all floors

to #12/13

In many Western cultures, the girl gives up her family name and takes the family name of her husband, yet you don't see the gender imbalance here...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-15 16:11:46 |Display all floors
Originally posted by oioioi at 2007-11-15 00:51
Your ignorance continue to astonish. If a Chinese family doesn't have a son the family name will disappear. ..... Anyone who knows anything about China should know this.  ...

Thanks for explaining this, oioioi.

Obviously that makes it OK to abort female foetuses and abandon baby girls.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-15 16:25:02 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2007-11-15 12:07

Just enlighten me, please: in what way is keeping your father's name so vitally and economically important?

I said: "Economically ...

To carry on the family lineage is not economically important. That's my point. Your post claimed that the imbalance "reflects a purely utilitarian, materialistic bias in Chinese parents." I merely pointed out that in your quest to attack and offend you are simplifying an extremely complex problem.

If you don't know how to write in Chinese pinyin, please don't do it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-15 16:35:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2007-11-15 12:07

In my humble opinion, a name is but a name. There are too many same-name people around me anyway ...

I'm afraid that your humble opinion on the significance of names is irrelevant right now. In China, Taiwan and South Korea, the lack of a male heir means the extinction of the family lineage and the cult of its ancestors. As I said earlier, everyone who knows anything about China should know this and understand its cultural significance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-15 16:39:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2007-11-15 16:11

Thanks for explaining this, oioioi.

Obviously that makes it OK to abort female foetuses and abandon baby girls.

I'm trying to explain that the motifs for sex selective abortions are more complex than Seneca claims. I am by no means trying to justify the practice. Is this too complex for you?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.