Views: 2373|Replies: 3

Funny strategic computer game: Freeciv [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-11-3 04:11:59 |Display all floors
If you like strategic computer games you may like this one: Freeciv. It's about building big empires, large cities and ofcourse large armies It's a free download, and it doesn't require a very new computer (it would still run on a 10 year old computer). And if you're an IT engineer you can make changes to the game code if you want (it's opensource).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-3 10:49:47 |Display all floors
Thanks for the info.
I would like to know if there's a game to learn chemistry...with all the adventurious fun in the lab. Also to know the chemicals in our daily necessities like dying hair, washing clothes, painting walls, preserving food in factories...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-3 19:11:29 |Display all floors
Originally posted by yj_802 at 2007-11-3 10:49
Thanks for the info.
I would like to know if there's a game to learn chemistry...with all the adventurious fun in the lab. Also to know the chemicals in our daily necessities like dying hair, wash ...

I don't know such a game, but I think it's a very good idea. As a kid I had a book with funny simple experiments to play with, but a computer game would be more attractive to most kids nowadays. Maybe a computer engineer will read these messages and decide to make such a game, I would buy it :)

Educational games can be a good way to make children (and adults ) enthousiastic about a certain career or field of science. For example the popular game Sim City has made many people enthousiastic for a career in town planning, I also loved that game since I was a kid. Freeciv and other games like Civilization are good to learn longterm planning, and when played online also for diplomacy and military tactics. I think the game is more complicated than chess
It should also be possible to make games for learning other languages and other skills, maybe even to learn basic computer programming.

Btw maybe the link in the original post wasn't shown correctly, so I'll post it here: www.freeciv.org

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-4 10:48:07 |Display all floors
I search from the net
http://www.chemcollective.org/
this website has a collection of virtual labs but I haven't tried their "run virtual lab" yet.
There are some educational games on chemistry. As for free to download, I don't know much.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.