Views: 7076|Replies: 3

A tale of "such that" and "so that" [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-10-27 12:03:01 |Display all floors
Hi:

Dear author
I think you missed the point.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/lan ... content_6209972.htm

我认为应该这么解释:

such that 读的时候要停顿即:“such"+"停顿"+”that)(a pause between such that when you read them)
so...that 之间把形容词"看成"停顿

即:在没有形容词修饰,只有句子来修饰程度的时候就可以用such that

有些时候的确只想用一个句子来修饰(其实这里修饰的就是句子本身所隐含的形容词!)

为什么会没有形容词呢?因为such that 这里用了that从句子来修饰一个显而易见(但又是隐藏起来)的程度。

例如:

The devastation was such that there were fallen trees wherever one looked.
这是一个用从句修饰隐含形容词(strong)的句子。(这个strong 是听者根据从句自然推出)(imply "strong")
The devastation was so strong that there were fallen trees wherever one looked. (explicit)
这是一个用从句修饰显示形容词(strong)的句子(to such an extent that)

中文里也有相对的说法:
A:你英语如何啊?
B:都学了三十年了。

所以:到底学的好还是不好呢?(这里无法得知,也许是说学得很好了)

(1)用such that的句子最好是主语名词是带有明确程度地。

例如:devastation, damage
那样一般就不要猜测程度。(也就是约定俗成搭配)

否则(2)
在that 句子里要表明,例如:any之类的词。

总之:使用such that的一个关键是要把要强调的”意思“表达出来。如果用such that表达不明显,用so... that 来表达最保险。

Their behavior is such that I was forced to drive them home.
这句话到底是说他们的行为太粗鲁以至于呢?还是太热情以至于呢?没有上下文无法看出。
只有用so.. that 才能表达出来

例如,文中例句:

"Of course, that also ties into the racial aspect because our society is such that minorities don't become elderly the way white people do. They die first."
such that 强调暗示的"racist "
=
"Of course, that also ties into the racial aspect because our society is so racist that minorities don't become elderly the way white people do. They die first."

The bald facts are these: Manchester United last night became the first English side in history to win the treble, beating Bayern Munich 2-1 in Barcelona to win the European Champions' League.

But the manner of their victory was such that no one, not their manager Alex Ferguson, nor the thousands of delirious English supporters, not even the scriptwriters of Roy of the Rovers would dare to suggest.

such that 强调暗示的" it seems so unlikely" 因为前面有" the first English side in history to win the treble" (因此用such that最好有上下文)

But Woodford's reluctance to join the rush into technology, media and telecommunications companies at the height of the dotcom euphoria was fully vindicated in the subsequent bear market, and the funds' short and long-term success has been such that they have attracted of over £12 billion of investor's money.
such that 强调的部分由主语突出。

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The bottom line is: such that 修饰隐含形容词,要由(1)上下文或(2)自身的句子的主语来把所隐含的意思表达出来。否则使用容易造成意思不清晰
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

再回到您的原文:
Anyways, "such that" is used to give a reason or, if you like, an explanation for something. For instance, you could've said: My English is such that I still feel like a beginner even though I've been studying the language for 30 years.

(1)首先我认为"give a reason"或“explanation"不准确。such that 是用来强调程度的。
(2)其次我认为例句不好:
因为English不是您上面例句中的一些词:success, victory,而没有society那个例句中的上下文。
其次更为重要的是应该是that后面从句来是修饰一个程度。而不是用主语来修饰从句。这句话要强调的程度到底是哪一个呢?
上面第一个例句没有错误因为前面有上下文:
"Of course, that also ties into the racial aspect because our society is such that minorities don't become elderly the way white people do. They die first."

光说您举的这个例句我认为是”缺少了一个中心意义“,从而会误以为句子的重点在于that后面的从句上。

Hope it helps

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-7 16:47:57 |Display all floors
一直搞不清楚这两个有什么区别,hly_123 讲的那么清楚,应该是个老师或者是语言工作者吧,呵呵

Anyways, "such that" is used to give a reason or, if you like, an explanation for something. For instance, you could've said: My English is such that I still feel like a beginner even though I've been studying the language for 30 years.

[ Last edited by flnewday at 2009-3-8 09:25 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-11 10:24:57 |Display all floors
不敢苟同。

Originally posted by hly_123 at 2007-10-27 12:03
Hi:

Dear author
I think you missed the point.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/lan ... content_6209972.htm

我认为应该这么解释:

such that 读的时候要停 ...

例如,文中例句:

such that 强调暗示的"racist "
=
"Of course, that also ties into the racial aspect because our society is so racist that minorities don't become elderly the way white people do. They die first."

The bald facts are these: Manchester United last night became the first English side in history to win the treble, beating Bayern Munich 2-1 in Barcelona to win the European Champions' League.

But the manner of their victory was such that no one, not their manager Alex Ferguson, nor the thousands of delirious English supporters, not even the scriptwriters of Roy of the Rovers would dare to suggest.

such that 强调暗示的" it seems so unlikely" 因为前面有" the first English side in history to win the treble" (因此用such that最好有上下文)

But Woodford's reluctance to join the rush into technology, media and telecommunications companies at the height of the dotcom euphoria was fully vindicated in the subsequent bear market, and the funds' short and long-term success has been such that they have attracted of over £12 billion of investor's money.
such that 强调的部分由主语突出。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-16 18:57:51 |Display all floors

Here  SUCH  is used as an adjective  and  a complement  to the verb BE.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.