Author: sarayang

feel the Old Man and the Sea [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-11-8 11:48:46 |Display all floors
wonderful.
You may say i'm a dreamer,but i am not the only one!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-8 13:47:41 |Display all floors

Thanks sara

...for sharing your thoughts on "The Old Man and the Sea". Sara, do you think the old man was heroic or stoic?

Would you say he was heroic because he soldiered on in the face of hardship and disappointment, bearing the burden as one does without complaining. He did put up a valiant fight against the shark to land his fish.

Or would you say he was stoic because he was inure to the pain and hardship of life since they are incidental and irrelevant to the meaning of life.

You might like to read up on the author himself, Earnest Hemingway. He was a remarkable man, he liked fishing too.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-8 14:03:46 |Display all floors

A book for Mark

Originally posted by markwu at 2007-11-8 11:24
I cannot remember what the content of that Hemingway novel, except there was a titanic battle between the fisherman and the fish he was trying to catch in the sea.  Maybe the message was in the str ...

I think you would enjoy John Steinbeck's "The Winter of Our Discontent". I know I did.

The title is from Shakespeare's King Richard III, there is a quality of brooding malevolence right from the start of this play. I associated that with Ethan Hawley as he brooded and then rationalised his behaviour. Perhaps that's what Steinbeck wanted.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-8 15:21:58 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.