Author: cestmoi

Australian racism turns into "bloodlust" [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-10-17 19:47:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pjtran at 2007-10-17 05:20
many asians have been picked by the aussie there as well not just the african alone.  and i know my people (vietnamese) there wouldn't take no freaking crap from the aussie there...

Actually, PJT, I think you'd find Vietnamese have been a relative "success story" in Australia.
Sure, there would have been some early problems, and some racism continuing over the years, and while there are areas where integration might not be as high as we'd like, the Vietnamese have been very enthusiastic at embracing the Australian way of life.

About 20 years ago the broadcasting company I worked for employed its first Vietnamese "boat person" refugee.
He was a bicycle mechanic in Vietnam and was employed as a sort of assistant in the engineering department, doing mechanical installations and stuff. His colleagues in that department were very protective of Than, as his English was not very good.
Over the years Than has become a respected and competent installation technicial, has high technical standards in his work and has survived many rounds of staff cuts due to him being a valuable contributor. Many more Vietnamese Australians were employed by that company.

As I said, Vietnamese are pretty enthusiastic Australians and now there are more "Nguyens" in the Melbourne phone book than there are "Jones".

JB
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-17 20:22:41 |Display all floors

That patronizing theme no less.

#15 Reply to Emu,

This is the condescending and patronizing tone which Anglo-Saxon Australians use to grade all successive waves of immigrants : Chinese, Greeks, Italians, Vietnamese and now Africans. There is a natural birth right , it seems , that they wear in giving marks to the new arrivals on their " integration " & " compliance ". If you do not stay quiet and dumb , then marks are deducted. The final Howard style racist remark is " If you don't like it here , go back to where you came from " QED.  

Let me just remind those small but significant proportion of racist Anglos that the Aborigines were the first people of Australia , everyone else is a immigrant. If the Aborigines were to give marks for integration and compliance, the whites would have " gone back where they came from " a long time ago.

PS: Australian Syrians do not remain Syrians when they commit crimes and yet become " Australian " when they achieve something  ; eg become a rugby hero . The hypocrisy continues.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-18 05:31:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 2007-10-17 22:22
This is the condescending and patronizing tone which Anglo-Saxon Australians use to grade all successive waves of immigrants : Chinese, Greeks, Italians, Vietnamese and now Africans. There is a natural birth right , it seems , that they wear in giving marks to the new arrivals on their " integration " & " compliance "....

Integration, you racist fool, means those new Australians are not afraid to take full part in society, speak the language, and take part in the wider social and cultural life. Something every nation should expect from those who seek to live there.

You and  your ilk seem to desire that sort of integration amongst Laowei who live and work in China (although they'd never be accepted into Chinese national life like Australia accepts Vietnamese, Chinese, etc), yet when new Australians take up the lifestyle, you mock them !

Vietnamese Australians are not "compliant", that's an insult to Vietnamese people.
Vietnamese-Australians appear quite keen on the concept of democracy & speaking out.
We do see quite a few Vietnamese-Australian local councillors, as well as politicians, and lobbyists for various organisations.

Mengzhi, like the "Patriot-Chinese" xenophobes we unfortunately are becoming all too well acquainted with on this BBS, your racism, intolerance and superiority complex is rapidly revealing itself.

JB
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-18 07:23:13 |Display all floors

State of Confusion.

I am sorry to see emu losing his temper again. It seems the mice have been playing while the cat was away. Well, I am back .

The whole issue of integration is complex and delicate. To be " Australian " does not mean wiping your roots, culture, language and beliefs clean and talk with the ocker accent, mate.

You are angry because I touched the trigger spots every time. I am constantly dealing with the likes of your ilk : pontificating and patronizing but all the time demanding that the rest should be more like " me ". No one needs to and want to be more like " you " emu. Australia is richer because lots of Australians now are not like the previous bigoted zealots of old. Australia is healthier because of it .

Integration not being  invisible .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-18 07:23:22 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2007-10-18 05:31

Integration, you racist fool, means those new Australians are not afraid to take full part in society, speak the language, and take part in the wider social and cultural life. Something every n ...

A culture comes from the environment, history, location in the world, and the economy. Immigrants to Australia try to keep their own culture alive but they have no hope once they are disconnected from the influences that created it. You see this with mengzi. She waves the flag of being Chinese but in substance she is very much a left-wing Australian seeking a sense of social belonging.

In addition, culture evolves. The comment by mengzi that all immigrants should be running around naked like hunter gatherers in order to assimilate to Aboriginal cultures is stupid. As the economy changes, so should the way of life. A few threads of the past will survive to provide some continuaity.

Again, you see this in Australia. Some elements of Aboriginal cultures survive. We use lots of aboriginal words like Yakka, Billabong, Kangaroo, Canberra, Jumbuck. The Aboriginal cork hat is an icon, and most sensible Australians choose Australian football(believe to have originated from the Aboriginal game of Marngrook) over feminine games like soccer or pompous private school-boy games like rugby union.
The eunuch should not take pride in his chasity

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-18 10:53:01 |Display all floors

Wait a minute?!

Mengzhi is a lady?  You have proof of that Tripitaka?
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-18 11:05:49 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tradervic at 2007-10-18 10:53
Mengzhi is a lady?  You have proof of that Tripitaka?

Its the emotional tone in the posts. They seem very feminine. (Not that there is anything wrong with being emotional.)
The eunuch should not take pride in his chasity

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.