Author: animalfarmer

some opinions on writing in english language [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-2-18 16:58:33 |Display all floors
And thing going from bad to worse, I am not allowed to put any new post in my own thread,  Easy Time 休闲英语» What are your favorite audio books (有声读物或书籍)?

Why? What happened?

Anyway, I'm so happy to see you have started another thread Online Reader's Digest Magazine

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-19 08:35:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by marya1003 at 2008-2-18 16:58
Why? What happened? Anyway, I'm so happy to see you have started another thread Online Reader's Digest Magazine

Only god knows why. I want to share something with all of you in this community, and I am glad that helps in a small way. Sometimes I wonder, is that too much to ask for? Or have I gone too far?

Glad you like my new thread about Reader's Digest. On the top of the great stories, I like its writing style and appreciate its quality and standard of words and sentences. I have been reading the Magazine since my college years.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-19 12:14:49 |Display all floors
Changzhou is a good person who guide us in the right direction of English learning,It's like sending the fire pot  in the freezing cold weather,offering a compass while got lost in the endless wildness.I appreaciate it very much for changzhou's hard work and kindness.In current status of my oral English ,I feel I 'm reaching the bottle neck ,Although I have been learning English from Junior to college ,till now,and persisted listenning to English evening broadcasted by China business radio everyday for more than a year,I find out it helps only a little on my spoken.I still can't express my ideas and thoughts freely and fluently,I feel confused and puzzuled ,frustrated and depressed  ;I assume I'm like a person drown in the English ocean and need a person like changzhou's help and rescue . Please come to rescue my poor oral English,Changzhou

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-20 08:42:37 |Display all floors
xunhuan_2002 Before we talk about your "poor oral English" as you put it, although your English is pretty good,  I would like to ask you a few  warm-up questions.

1.What are the key differences between written Chinese and spoken Chinese in terms of sentences, words, the structures of paragraphs, etc.?

2. What are the key differences between written English and spoken English in terms of sentences, words, the structures of paragraphs, etc.?

3. What are the key differences between business/work reports in Chinese and stories/novels in Chinese in terms of sentences, words, the structures of paragraphs, etc.?

4. What are the key differences between business/work reports in English and stories/novels in English in terms of sentences, words, the structures of paragraphs, etc.?

OK, let us do two experiments together.

Experiment number one.

1. You are going to recite your own post #19, and read it out loud over and over until you are able to say it fluently without looking at your own script.

2. Imaging I were there with you, repeating your post #19 to me in English, and observing your audience (this is me, in this case) to see if I can understand what you are talking about.

3. Surprisingly, your listener will have hard times to follow you, he/she may not understand your talk fully. Why? Because you are reciting the sentences with the style of the typical written English, not spoken English.

Experiment number two.

1.Revisit your own post #19,  extract the meanings of it. I am sure you can do it.

2.Rather than recite it word by word, you are going to rephrase it in a way your audience can grasp easily.

3. Imaging I were there with you, you will talk to me, like talking to a school boy,  naturally, you will come up with the words and sentences that are vivid and straightforward and casual and easy to be understood. In this way, your messages will get across to the listeners, and well received and digested.

I'd say, small words and simple sentences are the heart of spoken/oral English. Take some time to think about what I said. You can do it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-20 09:55:52 |Display all floors
changzhou I got your idea,Yes, I can't agree with you more that small words and simple sentences are the heart of spoken English.
I'd like to disclose my own thought about the difference of written english and spoken english.I think I can give a second thought on which vocabulary is more apropriate in the following sentence I'm going to write,however,turning to the spoken English,I take no time to dig out the eligible word to express my idea in the very moment of that conversation scene.  I suppose your point of view will surely work due to my above concerns.
I find out a strange phenomenon about me,when I speak English to my foreign cusotomer,I suddenly realise I can't search  the right word to express,on the other hand,I feel  I've accumulated many "amazing words" in my memory,but got no chances to use them when intending to deliver a speech.It's a contradiction,isn't it?  a big headache.
I  think your questions  just hit  the point,written English is more formal ,official, serious; not vivid,animated;so it's hard for ppl to understand.But,the spoken english has this characteristic and advantage. Your two  comparisions are so  fabulous that make me understand the difference between written and spoken english easily.
Thank you so much changzhou.You are indeed a talented instructor.I'll read more times of your post 20 .LOL

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-20 11:42:24 |Display all floors
xunhuan_2002, glad you like it. You know, I am neither a teacher nor an English major.  When you have time, you might go to visit my other posts, such as,  what are your favorite audio books ... as I wrote something below ...
Originally posted by changzhou007 at 2007-8-1 05:59 PM
Are you fond of music? Do you play any musical instrument, e.g. violin or piano? Or simply put, when you are playing a piece of music in your mind, would you be able to hear it out loud, with its rhythm and tempo? If yes, by the same token, thinking in English out loud really helps, as if letting these sentences flow through your mind, like the majestic Yellow River winding through our motherland.
Originally posted by jeff_in_sf at 2008-2-17 09:00
I think that is quite profound(1).Your posts are always excellent and beautifully written, changzhou007, and your advice is great, also! I read years ago that the people who had the easiest time learning a language responded to it unconsciously like music, with its own rhythm and tempo. They were able to "let go" of their native language and "hear the music" of the other language.   

Take your time and find your own way. You can do it.

footnote 1, jeff_in_sf meant my post quoted above.

[ Last edited by changzhou007 at 2008-2-20 12:15 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-20 12:27:44 |Display all floors
changzhou I've viewed several of your posts in this community which benifits me a lot no matter on English learning methods or widening my vocabularies and   enjoying your beautifully written posts.In regards to the audio book,I indeed consider it's a good idea to study English.However,the price of it is rocketsky high and I don't bother to pour my money buying one,I preffer to dig some out of the old editions in internet  to  enjoy,while now I don't possess a PC,when I get my PC,I'll immerse myself in the audio book.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.