Author: suchuhui80

is there any difference between this two sentences ? thanks? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-10-13 05:49:36 |Display all floors
Yes, there is a difference.

The first one is so-so...at least I can understand your meaning.  Fatdragon gives better alternatives, and another one is:
The company that has acquired the license is ABC.

The biggest difference between your first sentence and the 2nd sentence it that the second version doesn't make any sense.  Its bad grammar and bad English.  I would not use that under any circumstance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-13 12:26:23 |Display all floors
to have + 过去分词是不定式的过去分司形式。 第二句不是错句。 两个句子的意思差不多,但我不知道它们是否有差异。 Thank you .
let English be my second language and cash be full filled  in my pocket.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-13 12:28:31 |Display all floors
I wonder what the view of point from foreigner is .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-17 11:16:20 |Display all floors
please help . thanks .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-27 20:06:17 |Display all floors
First, a few comments on the spelling of the word "licence" (seeing how many different spellings have been used in the posts here :)

In American English, both the noun and verb forms have the same spelling: license.

In British English, the noun and verb forms are spelt as licence and license respectively (this is what I usually follow).

Next, coming to the two sentences:

Sentence 1: The company (which ) have acquired a licence is ABC.

There are some errors in the sentence. Use "has", not have. Also, "which" should not be within brackets.

So, write Sentence 1 as: The company which has acquired a licence is ABC.

Sentence 2: The company to have acquired a licence is ABC.

They are not really different. They both seem to imply that a number of companies were supposed to get a licence, or to try to get a licence, but ABC was the one which managed to get it.

In any case, both these sentences, while they may be technically acceptable, are not quite natural in context. Can you provide the sources for these?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.