Views: 4883|Replies: 3

listening tips [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-10-7 14:33:29 |Display all floors
i keep practising english listening skill everyday, after several years, i still have problems understanding english movie without subtitles.  gee....

god help me...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-8 06:46:26 |Display all floors
Could you tell us how you have been practising your listening skills, and what you have been listening, news, essays or stories?

As far as watching movies concerned, most of the recent ones made from UK have the heavy local accent, such as Irish accent, Scottish accent, Northern England accent, event the local Lodnon accent ... besides, the characters being educated and uneducated or from different social background are speaking their own languages in terms of slang, idioms, metaphors, etc ...

You might try to watch the movies made in the golden ages (1940s-60s), which are rich in the good, intelligent dialogues, and starring the best actors,like Rex Harrison, Richard Burton, Richard Harris, Charlton Heston ...

Like most of the Chinese learners, if you have spent most of your time to listen to the boring news from BBC, CNN, VOA ... or the tedious,big reports ... you are heading in the wrong direction, spinning and getting no where, you will be lucky if you don't hit the wall. In a word, you are wasting your time.

Listening to the long stories/novels is the way to go!

Yes, I am speaking from my own experience, besides, I am working on it, fixing my mistakes here and there.

I have just happened to post a few things in the thread called,  " Easy Time 休闲英语» What are your favorite audio books (有声读物或书籍)?"

http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/vie ... &extra=page%3D1

I am sorry if I put it a bit strongly, but I feel that we need to be shaked from time to time, and hear the voice, "Wake up!".

You can do it! :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-8 16:16:56 |Display all floors

excellent answer

I agreed strongly with what you have say,my advice is that : you can try some easy listening articles,which are more simple sentence,slower speed,and slight accent

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-9 06:43:41 |Display all floors
Do you watch with English subtitles or Chinese subtitles?  Try watching with the English subtitles (if you've only been watching with Chinese subtitles) because then you can read the words in English as they speak them.  ( most language students I know are better at reading than listening...at first)  Seeing the words as you hear them is the same principle as using audio books.

In general, however, I think reading subtitles distracts from watching and listening!  Try watching Chinese movies that you are very familiar with that are over-dubbed with English language (a Chinese DVD made to be sold in the US or UK).  This way, you will already know the plot and some dialog from watching it in Chinese and when you watch it with English soundtrack it might be easier to follow.  Chinese movies (on DVD) that are popular in America often have various "language tracks" in addition to the different "subtitle" options.  For example, Zhang Yimou movies can often be found with this feature.  Or, for example, watch a movie like "Infernal Affairs" (Chinese) and then watch "The Departed" (US).   This way, you may be able to infer a lot of the meaning from context.  

Also, changzhou007 makes a great point about English slang, idioms, and metaphors.  There are a large number of these types of phrases used in every-day English language and can be very difficult! If you have any native English speakers as friends, invite them over for a movie.  Even if you still need to watch with subtitles, you can have a conversation about the movie afterwards and learn through 1 on 1 talking.   Honestly, I think that is the best practice because you can ask them questions directly if you don't understand.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.