Author: alwaysfresh

Good work China! China bans sexually suggestive ads on radio, TV [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-9-26 14:42:08 |Display all floors
ZG,

Best I recall, you're in marketing (or something closely related) and therefore obligated to say that by Article V of the contract you signed when you aligned yourself with the darkest forces of the corporate world.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-26 14:44:20 |Display all floors
As to where the "reduction in values" comes from, you know already that I don't believe there actually has been one. Second, if we want to call progress that, then I would point at the counter-culture movement of the sixties and permissive parenting before I cast a glance at the billboards and television.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-26 15:14:05 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-26 15:55:28 |Display all floors
ZG,

Actually, the golden age of television was the 1950s and 1960s. Neither advertising nor programming coarsened until the 1980s with the introduction of MTV and so can't even begin to be the cause as most of the phenomena you describe were well under way in the 1960s and 1970s.

But I'll give you another gem, because I want you extolling the value of the burqa: all research indicates that the most important factor in the elimination of the traditional family and thus the transmission of traditional factors is female workforce participation and salaries at or near parity. These things have made women more financially secure and independent from their husbands, increasing divorce, while eliminating much of the "mother time" from childhoods.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-26 16:09:51 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-26 16:26:07 |Display all floors
To #6:

Thanks for your information. Now I see the difference between the two kinds of classes. But even if it (the frank sex ed class) works in the US, I wonder if Chinese parents would allow high schools to provide their children this sort of curriculum. How it will be received by Chinese schoolchildren remains a question as well.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-26 16:37:22 |Display all floors
Does Watching Sex on Television Influence Teens’ Sexual Activity?
http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB9068/index1.html

Key findings:

Teens who watch a lot of television with sexual content are more likely to initiate intercourse in the following year.

Television in which characters talk about sex affects teens just as much as television that actually shows sexual activity.

Shows that portray the risks of sex can help educate teens.

The average American teenager watches three hours of television a day. Typical teen fare contains heavy doses of sexual content, ranging from touching, kissing, jokes, and innuendo to conversations about sexual activity and portrayals of intercourse. Sex is often presented as a casual activity without risk or consequences. Conventional wisdom holds that the messages young viewers absorb from television promote sexual activity in this group. Yet, despite the prevalence of this view, there has been little empirical study to date of how watching sex on television influences teenagers’ sexual behavior.

Two recent studies led by RAND Health behavioral scientist Rebecca Collins examined the impact of TV sex on teenagers’ sexual beliefs and activities. The results supported the view that watching shows with sexual content may influence teen sexual behavior, but also found that some viewing effects can be positive.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Nice to see China putting into practice what "normal" people realise.
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.