Author: changzhou007

What are your favorite audio books (有声读物或书籍)? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-11-30 12:03:43 |Display all floors
Top 100 speeches for free download with text, audio (mp3) & video. and more ....

You know, we don't listen to the speeches every day. When the speech comes to us at the right moment, we are moved and inspired.

I would rather leave you to pick your own favorite speeches and speakers than give my picks that may be biased.

Here are two links.

Top 100 speeches

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/top100speechesall.html

Speeches in movies.

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/moviespeeches.htm

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-30 12:25:31 |Display all floors

Eulogy for Robert Francis Kennedy

By Edward Moore Kennedy

Here are a few paragraphs quoted from  his moving eulogy for his brother, Robert Kennedy who was assassinated in 1968.

a note, his eldest brother, the US president John Kennedy was also killed in 1963.

for the full text, please go to

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/ ... dytributetorfk.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is a revolutionary world we live in, and this generation at home and around the world has had thrust upon it a greater burden of responsibility than any generation that has ever lived. Some believe there is nothing one man or one woman can do against the enormous array of the world's ills. Yet many of the world's great movements, of thought and action, have flowed from the work of a single man. A young monk began the Protestant reformation; a young general extended an empire from Macedonia to the borders of the earth; a young woman reclaimed the territory of France; and it was a young Italian explorer who discovered the New World, and the 32 year-old Thomas Jefferson who [pro]claimed that "all men are created equal."

These men moved the world, and so can we all. Few will have the greatness to bend history itself, but each of us can work to change a small portion of events, and in the total of all those acts will be written the history of this generation. *It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped.* Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.

Few are willing to brave the disapproval of their fellows, the censure of their colleagues, the wrath of their society. Moral courage is a rarer commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence. Yet it is the one essential, vital quality for those who seek to change a world that yields most painfully to change. And I believe that in this generation those with the courage to enter the moral conflict will find themselves with companions in every corner of the globe.

For the fortunate among us, there is the temptation to follow the easy and familiar paths of personal ambition and financial success so grandly spread before those who enjoy the privilege of education. But that is not the road history has marked out for us. Like it or not, we live in times of danger and uncertainty. But they are also more open to the creative energy of men than any other time in history. All of us will ultimately be judged, and as the years pass we will surely judge ourselves on the effort we have contributed to building a new world society and the extent to which our ideals and goals have shaped that event.

*The future does not belong to those who are content with today, apathetic toward common problems and their fellow man alike, timid and fearful in the face of new ideas and bold projects. Rather it will belong to those who can blend vision, reason and courage in a personal commitment to the ideals and great enterprises of American Society.* Our future may lie beyond our vision, but it is not completely beyond our control. It is the shaping impulse of America that neither fate nor nature nor the irresistible tides of history, but the work of our own hands, matched to reason and principle, that will determine our destiny. There is pride in that, even arrogance, but there is also experience and truth. In any event, it is the only way we can live."

That is the way he lived. That is what he leaves us.

My brother need not be idealized, or enlarged in death beyond what he was in life; to be remembered simply as a good and decent man, who saw wrong and tried to right it, saw suffering and tried to heal it, saw war and tried to stop it.

Those of us who loved him and who take him to his rest today, pray that what he was to us and what he wished for others will some day come to pass for all the world.

As he said many times, in many parts of this nation, to those he touched and who sought to touch him:

"Some men see things as they are and say why.
I dream things that never were and say why not."

[ Last edited by changzhou007 at 2007-11-30 12:52 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-4 10:32:14 |Display all floors

Bill Clinton’s speeches

When you are listening to Bill Clinton’s speeches, you would most likely be absorbed by many things in him, his easy-going style, his eloquent words and lines, his humors, his passionate voice, his ability to build up the strong bond between him and his audiences ... in a word, he and his audiences are connected.

Many of his speeches are available on the internet for which you can search with key words like Bill Clinton speech transcript for free download mp3.

Here is a link to one of his recent speeches for free download in mp3 format.

http://www.knox.edu/x13249.xml

and a sample of his speeches as follows ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the central highlands in Africa where I work, when people meet each other walking, nearly nobody rides, and people meet each other walking on the trails, and one person says hello, how are you, good morning, the answer is not I’m fine, how are you. The answer translated into English is this: I see you. Think of that. I see you. How many people do all of us pass every day that we never see?

You know, we all haul out of here, somebody’s going to come in here and fold up 20-something thousand chairs. And clean off whatever mess we leave here. And get ready for tomorrow and then after tomorrow, someone will have to fix that. Many of those people feel that no one ever sees them. I would never have seen the people in Aceh in Indonesia if a terrible misfortune had not struck. And so, I leave you with that thought. Be true to the tradition of the great people who have come here.

Spend as much of your time and your heart and your spirit as you possibly can thinking about the 99.9 percent. See everyone and realize that everyone needs new beginnings. Enjoy your good fortune. Enjoy your differences, but realize that our common humanity matters much, much more. God bless you and good luck.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-9 12:54:34 |Display all floors

to changzhou007

great! i have downloaded one book you recommended above, how many times should i listen? one time is not enough, i think, but i have no time to repeat the same book so many times, in this way, i will have no time to listen to the other wonderful books.
You may say i'm a dreamer,but i am not the only one!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-10 08:00:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by shuffleipod at 2007-12-9 12:54

It would be OK to listen to it again. One way to do it is that once you go through a book, put it aside, pick it up and listen to it again two or three weeks later, in the meantime, you might move on to another book.

It would be better for you to look for the way that suits youself the most, and Keep it in mind, repetition dulls our eyes, routine numbs our ears, especially when it comes to learning English.

Apart from listening to the audio books, you might need to find a balance point among reading, writing, speaking and thinking in English. For example, reading a scene or a conversation or a paragraph aloud (alone or with your learning buddy) is really a big-plus; and writing a scene or a conversation by yourself and saying it out loud are even better.

In short, learning is not a burden, but is fun and enriches our lives ...

Feel free to ask questions and make comments and share something with us.

Keep it up!:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-10 13:34:34 |Display all floors
Thanks very very much  !  !!!
I have gotten what  i want !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-10 13:44:18 |Display all floors

so cool podcast

i found some very excellent podcast resouces here,
1: Today audio and video of msnbc;
2: ESLPod English;
3:USGS corecast;
and so on.
Please pay attention to the igoogle gadget, relly cool toolet.
http://bbs.cnnas.com/cn/forum-23-1.html
[url=http://bbs.cnnas.com]Learn English Online大风车多媒体互动网络[/url]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.