Author: changzhou007

What are your favorite audio books (有声读物或书籍)? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-11-18 20:43:47 |Display all floors
It's amazing to see how many audiobooks you have read. I'm wondering where can you get so many of them,hehe.
Can you help me to find a free download of The Red and The Black? I'm now reading this book and very fond of it.
I searched on the net but only found a free French audio. The audiobook read in English by narrator  Davina Porter is charged for XX dollors   and must be paid with a Visa card! That drives me mad........
Thank you!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-19 07:52:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zhuyii at 2007-11-18 20:43
I searched on the net but only found a free French audio....

Hmmm, that would give you a chance to learn French, just teasing you.

Unfortunately, I am not able to find the freebee version of it on the net either.  

Don't be disappointed, you could pick up Other classics with the same theme after you are done with "the red and the black". For example, "Anna Karenina" written by Leo Tolstoy is a great one. If you are interested in it, you might go to the following link for free downloading the first part of the whole audiobook as the recording is in progress. :)

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10779

How about "Madame Bovary" by Gustave Flaubert? Once it was published at that time, it sent out the short waves rippling through France and European continent.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-19 09:27:58 |Display all floors
Originally posted by changzhou007 at 2007-11-19 07:52

Hmmm, that would give you a chance to learn French, just teasing you.

Unfortunately, I am not able to find the freebee version of it on the net either.  

Don't be disappointed, you co ...

Thank you for you answer and proposal!
I'll try to read more classics

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-19 16:01:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zhuyii at 2007-11-19 09:27
Thank you for you answer and proposal!
I'll try to read more classics

Glad to hear my posts help in a small way. :)

One more thing, when you are reading English novels either with your eyes or with your ears,  you had better read them just like reading your favorite Chinese novels, with your common sense, avoid over-analyzing their structures, their exact meanings in Chinese ...

In a word, reading a novel as a reader, not as an English language analyst, not as an English-Chinese translator, not  ... Does it make sense to you?

Anyway, have fun, for we are in the world of "Easy Time 休闲英语".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-26 17:47:08 |Display all floors
wonderful topic you posted..
You may say i'm a dreamer,but i am not the only one!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-27 11:06:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by shuffleipod at 2007-11-26 17:47
wonderful topic you posted..

I am glad you like those posts. Thank you for your encouraging words which give me the motivation to keep on adding something interesting and useful to this thread.:)

BTW, I am wondering what you are reading recently? Would you be able to squeeze the time for reading? How would you enjoy that? Please feel free to say a few things,  the bottom line is to give us a chance to express ourselves in English, with the simple things, the small things … We don’t have to make a big speech, or talk like a philosopher or a thinker, just be ourselves.

Again, feel free to say something, small things here and there …

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-27 11:09:52 |Display all floors

The English Patient (Audio CD)

Written by Michael Ondaatje (Author),
Read by Ralph Fiennes (Narrator)

I guess many of you have seen The English Patient, grabbing nine Oscars including the best picture, which was based on the novel with the same title written by  Michael Ondaatje.

You know, movie and novel are different art forms, it would be meaningless to compare one with another like putting an apple and an orange side by side, but personally I would be in favor the novel over the movie in this case, for its poetic prose, the character’s vivid, descriptive voice, his longing for peace, for normal life, for freedom, for not being own (his was a spy) …you see, once being a spy, always a spy, own by the country …

The narrator of the book,  Ralph Fiennes, was also starring in the film as an English Patient.

The book deservedly earned many awards, including one of the most prestigious ones, the Booker Prize.

Deeply touching and riveting!

Here are a few lines from the book …

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
She stands up in the garden where she has been working and looks into the distance. She has sensed a shift in the weather. There is another gust of wind, a buckle of noise in the air, and the tall cypresses sway. She turns and moves uphill toward the house, climbing over a low wall, feeling the first drops of rain on her bare arms. She crosses the loggia and quickly enters the house.

In the kitchen she doesn't pause but goes through it and climbs the stairs which are in darkness and then continues along the long hall, at the end of which is a wedge of light from an open door.

She turns into the room which is another garden--this one made up of trees and bowers painted over its walls and ceiling. The man lies on the bed, his body exposed to the breeze, and he turns his head slowly towards her as she enters.

Every four days she washes his black body, beginning at the destroyed feet. She wets a washcloth and holding it above his ankles squeezes the water onto him, looking up as he murmurs, seeing his smile. Above the shins the burns are worst. Beyond purple. Bone.

She has nursed him for months and she knows the body well, the thin tight hips. Hipbones of Christ, she thinks. He is her despairing saint. He lies flat on his back, no pillow, looking up at the foliage painted onto the ceiling, its canopy of branches, and above that, blue sky.

She pours calamine in stripes across his chest where he is less burned, where she can touch him. She loves the hollow below the lowest rib, its cliff of skin. Reaching his shoulders she blows cool air onto his neck, and he mutters.

What? she asks, coming out of her concentration.

He turns his dark face with its gray eyes towards her. She puts her hand into her pocket. She unskins the plum with her teeth, withdraws the stone and passes the flesh of the fruit into his mouth.

He whispers again, dragging the listening heart of the young nurse beside him to wherever his mind is, into that well of memory he kept plunging into during those months before he died.
... ....
----------------------------------------------------------------

[ Last edited by changzhou007 at 2007-11-27 12:40 PM ]
The-English-Patient-movie.jpg
The-English-Patient-audio book.jpg

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.