Post time 2007-9-19 16:53:39 |Display all floors

A giant step you will surely make. come on. man

tell me where could i get it for free?
All i can is to be a better man.
http://michael3626.spaces.live.com/Personal/

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-20 08:16:10 |Display all floors

Re #7 & #8

Haha, guys, I could feel your eagerness as if hearing your saying: "I can't wait to try  it out.". Great!

Frankly speaking, I couldn’t remember when was the last time I went to the websites to download a free audio book. A couple of links are popping up to my head at this moment, http://www.audiobooks.org/  and  http://www.audible.com/  ,  where you might poke around to find out which free book suits you better.

Most of the audio book websites offer a few free books and a large number of free samples for readers to pick. It is still worth  listening to the free stuffs though the quality of the voices and performances may be not as good as that recommended in my previous posts, no doubt, most of their readers or performers are  professional story tellers or actors as well as  native English speakers.

BTW,  you might need to do your own search in the cyber space to find your favorite audio books, and that will be like icing on the cake if they are free.

Feel free to drop a few lines to share your findings and experiences, or to ask questions. Yeah, you will have fun to read books with your ears.:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-20 08:36:37 |Display all floors

Atonement – complete and unabridged

written by Ian McEwan (Author),
read by Carole Boyd (Narrator)

Hmmm, Do we have enough classics for now? Maybe it is time to change the taste. Here is a recent novel written by Ian McEwan to whom most of critics appraise as one of the best living writers (in English), some of them even went further saying, “No one can surpass Ian McEwan.”

You know, I am not in a position to cast my vote as a pro, especially, English is my foreign tongue and I am specialized in technology and consulting thingy. I’m reading his novels as a simple reader rather than as a critic, just for sheer joy and fun.

Carole Boyd has played many roles in numerous BBC radio dramas and made a lot of  book recordings.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
... ...
The play, for which Briony had designed the posters, programmes and tickets, constructed the sales booth out of a folding screen tipped on its side, and lined the collection box in red crepe paper, was written by her in a two-day tempest of composition, causing her to miss a breakfast and a lunch. When the preparations were complete, she had nothing to do but contemplate her finished draft and wait for the appearance of her cousins from the distant north. There would be time for only one day of rehearsal before her brother arrived. At some moments chilling, at others desperately sad, the play told a tale of the heart whose message, conveyed in a rhyming prologue, was that love which did not build a foundation on good sense was doomed. The reckless passion of the heroine, Arabella, for a wicked foreign count is punished by ill fortune when she contracts cholera during an impetuous dash towards a seaside town with her intended. Deserted by him and nearly everybody else, bed-bound in a garret, she discovers in herself a sense of humour. Fortune presents her a second chance in the form of an impoverished doctor — in fact, a prince in disguise who has elected to work among the needy. Healed by him, Arabella chooses judiciously this time, and is rewarded by reconciliation with her family and a wedding with the medical prince on 'a windy sunlit day in spring'.

Mrs Tallis read the seven pages of The Trials of Arabella in her bedroom, at her dressing table, with the author's arm around her shoulder the whole while. Briony studied her mother's face for every trace of shifting emotion, and Emily Tallis obliged with looks of alarm, snickers of glee and, at the end,grateful smiles and wise, affirming nods. She took her daughter in her arms, onto her lap — ah, that hot smooth little body she remembered from its infancy, and still not gone from her, not quite yet — and said that the play was 'stupendous', and agreed instantly, murmuring into the tight whorl of the girl's ear, that this word could be quoted on the poster which was to be on an easel in the entrance hall by the ticket booth.

Briony was hardly to know it then, but this was the project's highest point of fulfilment. Nothing came near it for satisfaction, all else was dreams and frustration. There were moments in the summer dusk after her light was out, burrowing in the delicious gloom of her canopy bed, when she made her heart thud with luminous, yearning fantasies, little playlets in themselves, every one of which featured Leon. In one, his big, good-natured face buckled in grief as Arabella sank in loneliness and despair. In another, there he was, cocktail in hand at some fashionable city watering hole, overheard boasting to a group of friends: Yes, my younger sister, Briony Tallis the writer, you must surely have heard of her. In a third he punched the air in exultation as the final curtain fell, although there was no curtain, there was no possibility of a curtain. Her play was not for her cousins, it was for her brother, to celebrate his return, provoke his admiration and guide him away from his careless succession of girlfriends, towards the right form of wife, the one who would persuade him to return to the countryside, the one who would sweetly request Briony's services as a bridesmaid.
... ...

[ Last edited by changzhou007 at 2007-11-17 11:18 AM ]
atonement.JPG

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-20 14:06:26 |Display all floors
audible.com
Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish.

http://westmagz.com

http://catti.tianyablog.com
http://www.eoezone.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?fid=18

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11455_7-6333605-1.html

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-20 16:46:08 |Display all floors
Just now I tried a short and easy audio story "Miss Civilization" by Richard Harding Davis.  hehe, it's not bad:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-21 09:51:52 |Display all floors

When We Were Orphans complete and unabridged

written by Kazuo Ishiguro
read by John Lee

Both are masters in their own fields. As a listener following the narrator’s voice, detached and controllable, he is slowly going in the world, where those characters lived.

The readers/listeners may grasp a thing or two leading to the universal truth, a man longing for being understood, a child longing for being with his/her parents…

... ...
It was the summer of 1923, the summer I came down from Cambridge, when despite my aunt's wishes that I return to Shropshire, I decided my future lay in the capital and took up a small flat at Number 14b Bedford Gardens in Kensington. I remember it now as the most wonderful of summers. After years of being surrounded by fellows, both at school and at Cambridge, I took great pleasure in my own company. I enjoyed the London parks, the quiet of the Reading Room at the British Museum; I indulged entire afternoons strolling the streets of Kensington, outlining to myself plans for my future, pausing once in a while to admire how here in England, even in the midst of such a great city, creepers and ivy are to be found clinging to the fronts of fine houses.

It was on one such leisurely walk that I encountered quite by chance an old schoolfriend, James Osbourne, and discovering him to be a neighbour, suggested he call on me when he was next passing. Although at that point I had yet to receive a single visitor in my rooms, I issued my invitation with confidence, having chosen the premises with some care. The rent was not high, but my landlady had furnished the place in a tasteful manner that evoked an unhurried Victorian past; the drawing room, which received plenty of sun throughout the first half of the day, contained an ageing sofa as well as two snug armchairs, an antique sideboard and an oak bookcase filled with crumbling encyclopaedias -- all of which I was convinced would win the approval of any visitor. Moreover, almost immediately upon taking the rooms, I had walked over to Knightsbridge and acquired there a Queen Anne tea service, several packets of fineteas, and a large tin of biscuits. So when Osbourne did happen along one morning a few days later, I was able to serve out the refreshments with an assurance that never once permitted him to suppose he was my first guest.
... ...
... ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
suihe6 - Good to hear that and keep it in mind that like reading your favorite Chinese novels, reading English ones is for nothing but fun and appreciation. Enjoy it. :)

[ Last edited by changzhou007 at 2007-11-17 09:25 AM ]
when we were orphans.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-26 11:24:26 |Display all floors

Never Let Me Go

by Kazuo Ishiguro
read by Rosalyn Landor

it seems that the scenes were trivial as the narrator was telling her formative years, her first love, etc. However, her voice was unveiling something more, something deeper, something darker ...

Ranked as one of the best one hundred novels written in English by Times Magazine.
never let me go.jpg

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.