Views: 40260|Replies: 67

What are your favorite audio books (有声读物或书籍)? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-9-18 09:42:45 |Display all floors
I am thinking about skipping the introduction and going straight to post the audio books I am fond of. Partly I can’t wait. Partly I am not good at giving an introduction. On second thought, it might be helpful to share a thing or two of my own experiences with you below.

Like many Chinese students studying in China (not abroad), I really had hard times to put my ideas into English words and to get them across to others, and felt hopelessly that English was far and away, beyond my grasp. My frustration and disappointment had been written all over my face and spotted by someone at the English Gathering on our campus, and he said, "Why don't you go to the library to pick up an audio book? It may help." and I did. Those casual words turned out to be one of many pieces of the best advice I have ever had. The great performers brought the characters and scenes from the books to life vividly. As time has gone by, their voices have taken me to wonderlands, fairylands and neverlands while I was walking in the woods, doing workout at the gym, driving to work, etc. A few names sprang to mind,

Great Expectations read by Martin Jarvis,
Jane Eyre read by Juliet Stevenson,
Atonement read by Carole Boyd,
When We Were Orphans read by John Lee.   

While astronaut Armstrong was stepping on the surface of the moon, he said: "That's a small step for man, a giant leap for mankind."  Looking back the moment I was stretching out my hands to grab my first audio book from the shelf, as if it happened yesterday not years ago,  a kind of wonderful sensation is sweeping through me and I'm hearing my own voices, resonating and lingering: "That's a small step for me, a giant leap for my English."

"Why don't you give it a try?"  Indeed, why not?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great Expectations  - complete and unabridged
written by Charles Dickens (Author)
read by Martin Jarvis (Narrator)
playing time, 16 hours

Martin is a very talented actor who appeared in numerous films and TV shows, and performed on stage and in audio books.

[ Last edited by changzhou007 at 2007-11-17 03:06 PM ]
great expectations.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-18 09:51:47 |Display all floors

Jane Eyre - complete and unabridged

playing time, 14 hours
written by Charlotte Bronte
Read by Juliet Stevenson, whose gifted voice and performance are infectious and admirable.
Jane Eyre.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-18 10:39:54 |Display all floors

The Professor - complete & unabridged

by Charlotte Bronte (Author)
read by James Wilby (Narrator)

The Professor was also written by Charlotte Bronte. That was not as well known as Jane Eyre, and  was not as well written and refined as her another novel, Villette, either. However, James Wilby's performance has brought the characters and scenes to life vividly, with his passionate voice.
The Professor.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-18 11:49:48 |Display all floors

Sense and Sensibility - complete and unabridged

by Jane Austen (Author),
read by Susannah Harker (Narrator)

Susannah Harker also starred in BBC TV series, Pride and Prejudice.

[ Last edited by changzhou007 at 2007-11-17 09:05 AM ]
Sense and Sensibility.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-19 07:38:25 |Display all floors

The House of Mirth - complete and unabridged

written by Edith Wharton
read by Eleanor Bron

As a proficient actor, Eleanor Bron has played a variety of roles in films and on stages. In this recording, her voice was like winter and summer, spring and autumn, like up-stream of a river, raging and roaring, like down-stream of a river, gentle and calm. In a word, her voice has brought the most out of the book.

BTW, Edith Wharton was an artist and her novels were like pieces of fine art, exquisite and elegant. She deserved standing side by side with other giants in the history of American literature, like Henry James, Scott Fitzgerald, William Faulkner ...

... ... .... ....
An impulse of curiosity made him turn out of his direct line to the door, and stroll past her. He knew that if she did not wish to be seen she would contrive to elude him; and it amused him to think of putting her skill to the test.

"Mr. Selden--what good luck!"

She came forward smiling, eager almost, in her resolve to intercept him. One or two persons, in brushing past them, lingered to look; for Miss Bart was a figure to arrest even the suburban traveller rushing to his last train.

Selden had never seen her more radiant. Her vivid head, relieved against the dull tints of the crowd, made her more conspicuous than in a ball-room, and under her dark hat and veil she regained the girlish smoothness, the purity of tint, that she was beginning to lose after eleven years of late hours and indefatigable dancing. Was it really eleven years, Selden found himself wondering, and had she indeed reached the nine-and-twentieth birthday with which her rivals credited her?

"What luck!" she repeated. "How nice of you to come to my rescue!"

He responded joyfully that to do so was his mission in life, and asked what form the rescue was to take.
... .... ...

[ Last edited by changzhou007 at 2007-11-17 09:17 AM ]
house of mirth.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-19 09:46:01 |Display all floors

The Age of Innocence - complete and unabridged

by Edith Wharton
read by David Horovitch

David Horovitch is a master in voice and acting. As a voice coach, many movie stars have come to his house and knocked at the door for advice.
The Age of Innocence.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-19 12:21:27 |Display all floors
It's a good idea :)  
Do you know some link of audio books which I can download them for free on the internet?  Thank you

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.