Author: sky_net

Can China build cities on the moon in 100 years? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-9-26 15:04:08 |Display all floors
FD,

He will? What makes you so sure?

You and I both know that, had Bush sat down with France and Russia to offer them a bigger slice of the oil profits than Saddam had agreed to give them, the coalition of the willing would have two more members. Now, what's to stop him from offering the EU Venus, China Mars, Russia Jupiter and Japan Neptune? The US keeps the moon and they get planets. Saturn, however, will require that the US go to war with me and that is a war they cannot win. Saturn is an integral part of my nation and any Saturnine independence movements or external meddling will be swiftly crushed beneath the heel of my well-polished and very stylish jackboot.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-26 18:24:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2007-9-26 15:04
FD,

He will? What makes you so sure?

You and I both know that, had Bush sat down with France and Russia to offer them a bigger slice of the oil profits than Saddam had agreed to give them, th ...

No certainty in anything. But it sure will liven up this BBS board when we start colonising the solar system.

But there is a prior claim to the Moon by all the other lunatics on planet Earth. So Bush can't  have it all to himself.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-27 14:46:34 |Display all floors
FD,

Actually, there's a guy who sells lunar real estate already. The moon is probably going to simply be regarded as terra nullus ("luna" nullus? it's too hard to decide when the proper roots all refer to the Earth, perhaps "vacuum domicilum" would work best) with private claims established unless there is a sudden discovery of something useful, at which point there will be government claims. I certainly hope not. I'd prefer that they remain private and the governments with their wars can be left to this planet unless they agree to exchange places: they can have the moon, private citizens can have he Earth.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-27 15:46:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2007-9-27 14:46
FD,

Actually, there's a guy who sells lunar real estate already.  ...

Yes, that guy has been making money out of the lunatics for a long time now. Not sure how he could claim a legal ownership to the Moon if he hasn't been there. The American government/NASA could have a claim if they hadn't signed away their rights - presumably not to him.

I suspect you are right that no one is going to dispute private title to it until they either establish resources worth accessing or it would give someone a strategic advantage.

I would like to live a few hundred years more and see what happens. The Russians have run out of steam for the moment but the Chinese could be just what it takes to get some serious space race progress. The Americans will probably get their budgets slashed but I'm laying odds that the Chinese are thinking a few hundred years down the track and spur the Americans back into action with their progress. I also see that the Chinese are opening or planning to open a new space station down south. Not sure what the objective is but I'm sure they understand what they are doing.

I wish them all luck because it's where the future lies for the human race.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-28 12:12:03 |Display all floors

Reply #19 fatdragon's post

I am waiting for that "New Engine" that the British Government is developing!

ha ha ha

That'll surprise all the contending powers!

Mr. Fatdragon,
have confidence in British engineering!

ha ha ha

Green Dragon
Game master
f. God of Happiness

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-28 14:19:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greendragon at 2007-9-28 12:12
I am waiting for that "New Engine" that the British Government is developing!

ha ha ha

That'll surprise all the contending powers!

Mr. Fatdragon,
have confidence in British eng ...

It'd certainly suprise me even if the contending powers don't react.  First they'll go radically overbudget. Then the media will talk about gravy trains and vainglorious schemes that should never have been started. Then they'll have an enquiry which never gets published. ...... etc etc

Oops, sorry, that'll be the 2012 Olympics.

Seriously, the Brits are great designers and engineers but the politicians have a knack of messing things up with the result that they seldom seem to get the full benefit for their efforts.

The Brits are only working on small budgets in a European consortium that is essentially aimed at launching satelites and project sharing. Not really in the same league as the Chinese and Americans.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-21 14:31:55 |Display all floors

Reply #21 fatdragon's post

Seems like the British Government and the Club member have LONG TERM OBJECTIVE much more viable than "China's space plans".

The North and South pole would need new kind of technologies that would be unique only in having the British Club states having knowhow.

This would include "for the Artic region"
(1) Deep sea "depressurized"  cabins or below ice cap cabin; with working enviroment for "long term" workers
(2) Drilling from sea bottom or below the ocean surface?

and in the "Antartic region",
(3) Deep Freeze proof "worker's" cabin.
(4) Various technologies that can work in low temperatures!

ha ha ha

Those technologies will have a lot of impact in SPACE EXPLOITATION as well!

ha ha ha

The British Club are the BEST!

Green DRagon
Game Master
f. God of Prosperity

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.