Author: helong

When will the Chinese language replace the English language? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-9-8 07:23:40 |Display all floors

Will, Helong

Originally posted by helong at 2007-9-8 05:46
The Chinese language will become the most important widely used international language around the planet,  the question is only when?

Maybe 10 years?
Maybe 30 years?
Maybe 100 years?

I will ...

I am AFRAID that you would be right if things continue to go the way they are currently going. But then again, YOUR bothers the Mongols would have taken over the world had NOT my great, great, great... grandfathers not stood up to you people.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-8 07:31:52 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-8 07:36:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by helong at 8/9/2007 05:46
The Chinese language will become the most important widely used international language around the planet,  the question is only when?

Maybe 10 years?
Maybe 30 years?
Maybe 100 years?

I will ...

The Chinese economy is still only about 1/6 that of the U.S. in dollar terms. If you consider the population of China compared to the U.S. then multiply that by about 4.
China has a long way to go to pass the U.S.
Further to that, the economic policies in China are protectionist and aren't conducive to good trade relations with other countries, hence the Europeans and Americans pushing for free floating currency to level the playing field.
If the RMB doesn't become more flexible, importers of Chinese goods will be forced to impose import taxes to increase the cost of Chinese goods.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-8 07:44:07 |Display all floors
Helong:

In order for people to want to learn a new language, they would need a reason to do so.  These reasons derived from the mass media for the common mass.  They rely on things like entertainment, businesses, sports, religion, movies, and music, basically.  

Besides, people like: greendragon, changabula, schreiber, and along with the rest of the forumers are unlikely to do anything about the news they read, success or failures some nations pose.  They can be the internet warrior they are, racking up thousands of posts and still living after so many years doing absolutely nothing to prevent something they do not want to happen.  

If anything, walk into the real world, financially, culturally, and into other nations to see what is actually there.  If anyones actually been to China they would know it's not that much Westernized and they have their own distinctive culture and habits.  It's rather myopic for someone like schreiber, since he lives in Oklahoma and probably never been there, or if he had; he probably only been there for a week or so.  Changabula piggybacks other posts and add a little comment which is pretty obvious sometimes to what he's trying to say.  Greendragon is pretty much the same.

@ halibut

Don't be naive.  Cantonese is a bad choice for a language for Chinese trying to be a global language.  You want it so because you speak it and live in Hong Kong.  There aren't even more Cantonese speakers than Japanese speakers and that language has a long way to go.  No one in mainland will learn 2 dialects just for the sake of it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-8 10:48:31 |Display all floors

Reply #36 prominent's post

How did Cantonese get into the "argument"?

It's Mandarin Versus English.

Don't get confused! ha ha ha
(between you and me, Cantonese is only used in a certain quarter of the supercentres of our present contemporary world. It does not attempt to be a common world language!)

People like Helong is "patriotic", and in patriotism, there would be problem to see "reality". What makes people like Mr. Helong thinks that China has "control" over worldwide innovation and that it's certain Chinese companies will exceed those of the United STates!

....and what benefit does it gives to people to speak only 1 language? Would it confined our mental capabilities.....

language has wide impact on the human person.

I have been to China regularly for almost 15 years already. Just didn't go to the backward Northeast, West and Southwest. Don't be so presumptious Mr. prominent!

ha ha ha

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-8 11:09:49 |Display all floors

Reply #26 schreiber's post

Yeah mate, I know, but it's also like China, so many other languages and dialects. English is actually one of their second languages and it'll be more likely that, in the next few decades, India will overtake China in overall terms, so maybe we ought to look into the crystal ball and start with those languages spoken there. Nothing wrong with learning Putonghua though, I'm still trying to, after 3 years (into my fourth) of being here. Cantonese is totally different and I can't make any sense of any of it. Hell, even when I went back to my fiancees hometown in Hunan, I couldn't understand much of the local language there either....she was smart though, she could speak her local dialect ( a variant of Mandarin), Putonghua, Cantonese, English and also French.....really smart gal she was, such a waste!
RE #27; chang, no need to call folks names mate. I've noticed that you have threads dedicated to why you're lonely etc.....take a look in the mirror and read some of the things you say to, and about others, my friend. This might be a good indication as to why you post those threads and you get ridiculed. No need to make yourself a target of derision, the world does that all on its own sometimes, in short, chill man!
Nuff said, peace y'all !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-8 12:43:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by helong at 2007-9-8 05:46

Maybe 10 years?
Maybe 30 years?
Maybe 100 years?

I will ...

Perhaps one day ''Mandarin'' Chinese will become the accepted business language as her global expansion in the business world continues. However, unless China gains political control over English speaking countries then it is very unlikely that they would relinquish their ''English'' cultural language in favour of Chinese for everyday speech. Even then it would probably take about three genarations before ''Mandarin'' Chinese was fully integrated.

Meanwhile, before trying to get the world at large to adopt Chinese ''Mandarine'' as the official language, you should perhaps turn your attentions to China where about 60 different languages (probably more) are in everyday use. For example residents of Chendu commonly communicate in the local Chengdu dialects - not in ''Mandarin'' Chinese. Hong Kong residents speak ''Cantonese'' not ''Mandarine'' etc, etc
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.