Author: helong

When will the Chinese language replace the English language? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-9-5 17:22:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by changabula at 2007-9-5 16:35

It was rammed down peoples throats during the British Empire!

i am so proud you used those words.............

we just had our Merdeka(independence) anniversary over colonial adversaries.....
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-5 23:23:37 |Display all floors
"It was rammed down peoples throats during the British Empire!"

Why not take a stand against imperialism by not using English?  I'm not sure this board allows typing in Chinese, but you can use pinyin.  Call it a 'silent protest'...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-6 03:42:51 |Display all floors
i am so proud you used those words............

Those English words
Good Gweilo: My job is the ideological quality control

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-6 03:58:12 |Display all floors
China is undergoing a Renaissance,   something unprecedented in history.

The revival and the resurgenge of the Chinese language is part of the process of Chinese Renaissance.

As Chinese cultural and artistic impact makes itself felt all over the world,  the Chinese have to take pride in their own Chinese language.

The Chinese language is succinct and logical,  without grammatical complicated hangups.   It will be far easier to learn than the English language.
The Chinese language is far superior to the English language.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-6 06:15:54 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-6 16:04:01 |Display all floors

It would take quite a lot of effort to get people to speak mandarin.(putonghua)

But overall, i do believe that East Asia states will start to learn Mandarin as it is practical for use in regional trade, diplomacy and even science. But English would challenge it strongly. It depends on poliicies in Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Thailand and Indonesia.

In the Europe, western Asia, South Asia, Africa, North and South America , it would be more difficult..
Maybe after China economy equals the Amerikan economy in 2030, would more people learn the "unity language of Putonghua"

and if effort is made by the Chinese government to popularized songs, movie and make China and ATTRACTIVE importing markets; chances becomes better.
and if our scientific endevours comes up with regular exciting discovery, chance becomes better. If we can attract the elite students from nations beyong that of East Asia to study in our elite institution...

Hmmmm

Never really thought deeply about this....since i think, multi linqualism is a better option for China and East Asia~!
Makes the people smarter and more innovative!

Green Dragon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-7 11:41:13 |Display all floors

Reply #24 seneca's post

You are pretty practical in your opinion!

Then there are disadvantage, China isnt a COLONIAL POWER, and thus does not have a "load of ex-aristocracy, tax farmers" who would help popularize the language outside of East Asia. (Same problem as the Japanese).

It would be a major language of a quarter of the world's population, and a major competitor to English and French!
Obviously it would be stronger than the Japanese languages (despite them having the 2nd largest economy in our world)

cheerios!

Green Dragon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.