Author: helong

When will the Chinese language replace the English language? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-6-29 17:09:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by moshenggou at 2009-6-29 17:05

If any of you Mainlanders go to HK soon be sure to ask for a bottle of erguotou, funniest look you'll ever see.

I live in Beijing and if anyone wants a bottle of Hongxing Ill give them a funny look, unless of course they are carrying a mop and bucket and then I might get the idea.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-6-29 17:16:52 |Display all floors
Originally posted by idiot8 at 2009-6-29 17:37

Look at how many of those languages in Asia are under threat or may disappear in the next 100 years.  

That's true, hundreds will disappear, no doubt. I just read today that India alone has 700 languages and many will be soon extinct.

Sure language is the most important part of culture, but a language's script is hardly the most important part of language.

Well, many languages don't have an own script. Of course it is less important than the spoken langauge.

Finish and Spanish have about as much in common as Romanian and Indonesian.  They all use the Latin Alphabet but the languages are very different as are the cultures.

Finish is an Altai-Uyguric language and is related to Hungarian.  As for the rest, I did never contest this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-29 17:18:35 |Display all floors
The problem is that the HKers don't even know what it is, funniest looks I've seen. I hated HK, but it was fun to go around and look for the hongxing (one old guy actually got what I wanted, told me to write it in traditional and drank some baijiu with me. Nice guy and could speak putonghua). Found one finally, about 50 RMB, haha (didn't buy it). I like the erguotou with coke, reminds me of the cheap vodka or whiskey with coke back home.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-29 17:45:35 |Display all floors
Out on the streets of Guangzhou again.

This time scrutinizing t-shirts !

Observation:

- 99 % of people with t-shirts have some kind of English text printed on it (some are wrong spelling - but that only proves that it is not of foreign origin)

- 1 % have nothing printed on it or just a non-script graphic

I have seen no one (no one !!!) wearing a t-shirt with Chinese script on it.

I think I have to go Europe to find some. I personally have some, but do not know the meaning.

I am not sure if this is of any importance to the topic, but it shows that Chinese citizens prefer English over Chinese.

:):):)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.