Author: chinadaily

China becomes Australia's top trading partner [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-9-3 19:45:44 |Display all floors

It is confined to trade, mate.

My ears were burning ! Who has been using my name in vain ? Such blasphemy , such incivility . I have now traced it to my friend emu the flightless bird . Naughty naughty , your apologies will be accepted but don't do it again. Do I stick in your craw and have I got under your skin ? Why , I have always been the picture of coolness and calm , of decorum and civility . Yet I am surprised and shocked that you can bandy my good name about with such vehemence and agony : attributing learned wisdom from cestmoi to moi ! I am ambivalent here : to take that as a compliment or a curse ? What saith thee ?

My two bobs' worth on this debate is : Australia is a trading partner to China , nothing else.  Reminiscent  of the " just good friends " platonic relationship . Australia is riding high and fast on the coat tail of this Chinese Dragon , making use of the sunshine making hay . Friendship ? Cultural understanding ? Nah , don't do that .

The APEC meeting starting this week in Sydney have already thrown up two road humps to a better connection with China :

#1.  Howard cannot get enough of the sucking up to the organ grinder . Bilateral meeting on the side, trilateral pow-wow with Japan and the US  while ignoring the " top trading partner China " is  a major diplomatic faux pas. China won't ignore or forget . Containment of China is a bad chess move.

#2.  Approval for an Epoch Times FLG reporter to become an official delegate is the measure of the insensitivity and crass behavior towards " the top trading partner " . China won't ignore this slap in the face and she never forget such crude behavior .

Solution : up anchor Australia and drift back to the North Sea and be close to mother England I think .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-3 22:44:52 |Display all floors

chinese are NOT hostile to the australia !

Originally posted by tikoli at 2007-8-31 17:56

I’d like to think this would be an optimistic sign for the relations between the two countries. China’s prosperity is definitely in Australia’s interests. Furthermore, from the excellent rel ...

australia is the us ally and they have military treaty while the us sees china a major strategic competitor
so it's understandable that some chinese make negative comments on australia
but that is NOT the whole picture
actually most chinese see australia as a quite friendly country to china ,at least much much better than japan and uncle sam
also there was a survey done in australia shows that more than 70% of australians think china is friendly and at the same time only 20% or so people give the us the same comment
there should be NO comparison between sino-australian relation and sino-japanese relations ,the reasons are self-evident

personally i had two australian teachers when studing in university
The Sun rises every day from the East !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-4 08:16:27 |Display all floors

After all that...

Yeah, Meng, I know it is annoying to see white Australia come out of it with a fistful of contracts and a booming resource sector and brag-right for hosting the APEC summit, courtesy of the economic emergence of China. They have contributed nothing at all to China's emergence and have on several occasions attempted to derail countries in the region. But that's how our President wants it and there are some benefits to China.

White Australia has a long standing policy to ignore the population and establish relationship with the movers and shakers of the day.  

I can see so much vileness and hatred in white Australia, while the likes of likoli and Emuc are encouraged by the inference that racial hatred and discrimination pays off for white Australia. Past and recent wrongs conveniently swept under the carpet. Makes you want to throw up on white Australia as a token gesture.

What you can do is to start a grass root boycott of all Australian products. Don't buy anything made in Australia and advise tourists to go elsewhere eg. Korea, Canada, any of the S.E.Asian countries, just not white Australia.

Continue to show up white Australia for what it is - vile and discriminatory. It is ridiculous to say they have laws against explicit racial discrimination when the white Anglos are so entrenched. As tikoli and Emuc say, they feel more comfortable with Anglos because they share a common heritage.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-4 10:02:55 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wanzheli at 2007-9-3 22:44

australia is the us ally and they have military treaty while the us sees china a major strategic competitor
so it's understandable that some chinese make negative comments on australia
but  ...

On the whole, I’ve found that Chinese are very friendly to Australians. Many Chinese seem to have a relative or two over there and the relatives seem to be sending back good reports about the country.

As for international relations, I appreciate that China has a different history with Australia than what it has with Japan, but China’s attitude to Japan is a bit strange in my eyes. Australia was also invaded by Japan, and many Australians were taken prisoner of war. Despite these historical problems, trade helped over come any lingering hostilities. Likewise, Malaysia, Singapore, and the Philippines were also invaded yet they don’t hold the hostility to the same extent as China.

China seems to have quite an adversarial relationship to the world. China seems to view every country in the region as potentially an enemy or rival. Maybe this is because China is potentially extremely powerful, so Chinese people feel that they don’t need to form alliances.  Alternatively, when people feel like they have lots of power, often they want to use that power. Historically, this has been one of the great drivers of war even though very little economic benefit has come out of the war.
The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-4 10:07:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cestmoi at 2007-9-4 08:16
Yeah, Meng, I know it is annoying to see white Australia come out of it with a fistful of contracts and a booming resource sector and brag-right for hosting the APEC summit, courtesy of the economi ...

Australia is a multi-racial society. This is reflected in my own mongrel ancestry. China is basically a mono-racial society. This is reflected in race being a far more significant issue for Chinese than it is for Australians.

Anyway, your as boring as Mengzi. You have your own style though. Mengzi tries to be funny mix jumpbled garbage. You cry about being a victim. Both of you have significant problems with low self-esteem.
The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-4 11:00:43 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-4 11:09:12 |Display all floors

None too subtle racism.

cestmoi,

Good points all round . Boycott " made in Australia " is easy . What is " made in Australia " ?

#1.   Howard is now firmly entrenched between the rock and a hard place. His party and personal polls have plunged and he is obviously the old man with worn out ideas. He is desperately clinging on to Uncle Sam and hope that this last roll of  the dice at APEC would win him a miracle. It is not to be.

His climate change rhetoric is that of a unconvincing johnny-cum-lately . He does not know the first thing about the science of the issue and he is rambling on about " leading the world " in CO2 emission control . Just like an atheist preaching from the bible.

#2.  None of his apologists dare to offer excuses for the exclusion of China in bilateral and trilateral talks in Sydney over the next week , to contain and isolate China ( While president Hu is right there !). None of the mealy mouthed spin doctors can tackle the racist and bigoted attitudes expressed by this government towards China : like approving a FLG representative into the forum .

tick-tock talks like he is the generous benefactor in Australia .Anyone who comes to Australia needs to be grateful to his " generosity " and need to genuflect three times a day with a tug of the forelock . This is the embodiment of that white supremacist attitude that all non-whites need to be on good behavior all their lives , or else!!!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.