Author: chinadaily

China becomes Australia's top trading partner [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-9-1 08:20:19 |Display all floors
cestmoi (cestmoi)  is mengzhi?

tikoli said that China is not important to Australia.
Look at his post:
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/vie ... &extra=page%3D1
Don’t fear unfair criticisms, but you must know those unfair criticisms.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-1 10:13:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2007-8-31 19:43

Who says that. I've never heard that expression used in relation to Japan and Australia.
Are you just making up crap again, Mengzhi?

When have I said that, Mengzhi? You're just mouthing off ...

I think Cesmoi just got confused with the saying that when America sneezes the world catches a cold. These kinds of sayings really don’t apply to Australia, which has been ranked as the most resilient economy in the world for the last five years.

The game Cesmoi is trying to play is that “Australia is not a good partner, prove me wrong otherwise you will be punished” . Personally, my reaction to that kind of communication strategy is just “so be it.”

If you look at Australian history, there is a common thread of defiance towards that kind of threatening communication strategy. It was seen most recently when China warned Rudd and Howard not to meet the Dali Lama. Rather than result in voter pressure being placed on Howard and Rudd not to meet the Dali Lama, voter pressure was placed on the two leaders to meet him.  

I think relations between Australia and China would benefit a lot from a reconsideration of the methods the two countries use to persuade each other. China is not going to be persuaded by left-wing style anti-establishment arguments, while Australia is not going to be persuaded by intimidation.
The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-1 17:39:30 |Display all floors

IMF statistics

I posted following table in my thread on the lack of commitment on Australia's part. We can clearly see that Australia has been dis-investing in East Asia for the last twenty years. From 1982 to 2002, Australia's DFI in East Asia shrunk dramatically from 34.6 to 7.4 billion.

When the 1997 "Asian Currency Crisis" started in Thailand, Australia was the first to cut and run. Australia sees East Asia as a grab bag of opportunities, Australia has no strategic vision in engaging East Asia and demonstrably, Australia has no commitment to East Asia.

The stats is from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).

No, tikoli, you don't need to prove me wrong, but you do need to prove the following institutions wrong:

** Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS)
    ** International Monetary Fund (IMF)
    ** Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) - actually it was McFarlane's lecture at Melbourne University which sounded the alarm bell

I am assembling more recent stats for your and Emu's edification.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-1 18:06:39 |Display all floors

Australia's DFI

Twenty years trend, data as per Australian Bureau of Statistics.

If the likes of tikoli feels threatened by facts and statistics from Australia, perhaps they should stick to the politics of innuendoes, character assassination and dissembling and digressions.
3.jpg
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-1 18:39:44 |Display all floors

Comsec figures

I am not disputing James Craig's assertion, but would like to see his figures.

I compared the Australian merchandise export to China (incl Hong Kong SAR) and Japan by FOB-value  for 2007 to July and the figures are too close to make a call on whether China has replaced Japan as Australia's biggest export market. However, I do assert that, given the fact that close to 80% of imports from Australia are for internal consumption, a slow down in China will have knock on effect for Australia.

No wonder "tikoli" says he feels threatened.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-1 21:10:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cestmoi at 2007-9-1 20:06
..... perhaps they should stick to the politics of innuendoes, character assassination and dissembling and digressions.

Ahh, no. We'll leave that to you, Mengzhi and Changabula. You're so much better at it than the rest of us.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-1 23:26:22 |Display all floors

My apologies.

With all the shyte flying around, I obviously got confused as to the source.

It all smells pretty much the same and with the delays and inability to edit posts here, I am unable to correct my post #7.

My apologies to Mengzhi for incorrectly attributing that big steaming pile of doo doos to him.

Cestmoi, consider yourself admonished instead
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.