Author: tradervic

Law versus Custom - Which is more long lasting? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-9-11 00:36:24 |Display all floors

Improvement in Littering

We were driving home last week. For a moment a dark impulse welled up from my distant past. I briefly considered tossing some paper napkins (we call them serviettes in Canada) out of the car window.

When I was a kid, 50 years ago, that kind of behaviour was common, and our streets and highways were dirty with paper, wax paper drinking cups, and other junk.

But over the years, campaigns were mounted, laws enacted, and people gradually got the idea that it was better to carry their waste and garbage to a proper receptacle.

Not everybody does it, but most people do, and the landscape is better for it. We have henerally improved our country and our lives, going against  the instinct to do the easiest thing.

There are still bad elements around who make a mess.  But they are fewer and fewer.

Whenever I see litter and there is a trash receptacle close by, I usually pick it up and put it where it should go. Mrs. Rong laughs and calls me 'Comrade Lei Feng", but she agrees it is the right thing to do.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-11 03:01:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by fluffy at 2007-8-30 21:30
Woman allowed from Governemnt advice:

2 drink in first hour

1 drink every hour after

By many hours I am very drunk and difficult to see road clearly...how to do?

Hm... define your local government's defintion of "drink", how many mL of alcohol in the drink?
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.