Author: tradervic

Law versus Custom - Which is more long lasting? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-8-30 23:21:49 |Display all floors

Put me down for Laws.

Laws are longer lasting as a new Law can replace both a Custom and a Law.   
A new Custom may replace an old Custom.
But Custom rarely changes a Law by itself... unless absolute chaos breaks out, some Lawyer somewhere will want the demise of the old Law in writing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-31 05:09:21 |Display all floors
Custom definitely lasts longer. The government has implemented rules that say spitting in the street is not allowed, but how much of a change has there actually been? Old habits die hard, regardless of the law...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-31 06:21:48 |Display all floors

tradervic - what do you think about DUI or DWI (drunk driving laws)?

Just to look at a small part of this question, which fluffy discusses in an abbreviated way...

What about our western laws about drunk driving? In my adult life time, I have seen the laws regarding drinking and driving getting stricter and stricter. It wasn't thought to be such a criminal activity say 30 years ago. But now people are accepting that they shouldn't drink and drive.

It is like we are trying to re-engineer ourselves into a better society. The no-drinking-and-driving-group seem to regularly claim success, but then the police say that drunk driving charges are up over last year.

I'm sure things are better in this regard in 2007 than in 1967. Law is changing custom.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-31 07:26:59 |Display all floors

I would reply again but I already answered

Custom is so ingrained it would exceed law
°★·°∴° ☆.·°∴°.☆°★°∴°

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-31 11:25:07 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ronglimeng at 2007-8-30 16:21
Just to look at a small part of this question, which fluffy discusses in an abbreviated way...

What about our western laws about drunk driving? In my adult life time, I have seen the laws regarding drinking and driving getting stricter and stricter. It wasn't thought to be such a criminal activity say 30 years ago. But now people are accepting that they shouldn't drink and drive.

It is like we are trying to re-engineer ourselves into a better society. The no-drinking-and-driving-group seem to regularly claim success, but then the police say that drunk driving charges are up over last year.

I'm sure things are better in this regard in 2007 than in 1967. Law is changing custom.

My history of Canada is not so good when it comes to liquor prohibition - but America has had a love/hate relationship with the spirits for a very long time.  As it stands - the modern day temperance movements, like M.A.D.D. and S.A.D.D. are trying to find a blend of laws and customs to combat drunk driving.

Remember, the temperance movement has a big blot on their record with the 18 Amendment, and all the terror that was generated by it in it's wake.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-31 11:30:52 |Display all floors

Drink driving is very difficult

Woman allowed from Governemnt advice:

2 drink in first hour

1 drink every hour after

By many hours I am very drunk and difficult to see road clearly...how to do?
°★·°∴° ☆.·°∴°.☆°★°∴°

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-10 20:54:38 |Display all floors
law and customs are in many occasions so interwined that you have on idea of which is which.

a widely accepted customs may be enacted into laws and "inappropriate" laws such as holding relatives accoutable for one's illegality may be abolished.

it is as simple as that.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.