Views: 5642|Replies: 11

Bridge collapse in central China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-8-14 14:32:28 |Display all floors
A bridge being built in central China has collapsed, killing at least 22 people, the authorities say. The collapse occurred on Monday in Fenghuang county in Hunan province. Forty six people remain missing. Reports say the bridge was nearing completion at the time of the collapse. An inquiry into the cause is under way.

The 320-metre (1,049ft) bridge was being built to span the Jiantuo River. Fenghuang is a hilly area popular with Chinese tourists. The BBC's Quentin Somerville, in Shanghai, says more than 100 construction workers are believed to have been on the bridge when it collapsed. They were in the process of removing scaffolding supports from the structure, which was supposed to open later this month.

The bridge was to link Fenghuang County with neighbouring Guizhou Airport. According to local media sources, most of those working on it were local farmers who had been recruited for the project. Rescue workers, including 400 soldiers, are continuing the search for survivors.

My thoughts are with the families of the killed and injured workers.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-14 15:01:02 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-14 15:19:35 |Display all floors
[quote]Originally posted by mencius at 2007-8-14 14:32

Similar news heard in US...
***always to be yourself***

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-14 21:30:49 |Display all floors
It has not been the best of years for China

many will be hoping for the year of the Pig to finish
ExJ.H

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-18 05:56:13 |Display all floors

mencius

mencius, what do you do for living?

I have seen you in Chinadaily and few other English China forums for so many years (2004 tile now), and the only one thing you have been doing is - bashing China and Chinese.

How much you get paid for that? Can you introduce me to your employer to offer me such job so that I can make few bucks?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-18 09:21:29 |Display all floors

The withdrawal syndrome .

Dear luf ,

mencius is a victim of the post colonial empire withdrawal syndrome. Imagine , for three centuries they have had a free reign of everything and everywhere under the sun. Freebies and largess everywhere simply because they have a white skin , nothing else .

Alas , all gone !! So this withdrawal addictive psychosis sets in ( similar to cocaine addict going without ). They froth in the mouth , they exhibit twitches of the facial muscle , convulsive spasm and catatonia . They yearn for a fix but they can't . Some get over it but mencius unfortunately may take decades to moan and groan.

My advice is to watch them sweat and scratch but ignore their ramblings because they are just rabbiting rubbish with no consequence whatsoever . As if China's booming progress is going to be influence by one iota by all this hot air . Enjoy !!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-18 10:59:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 2007-8-18 09:21
Dear luf ,

mencius is a victim of the post colonial empire withdrawal syndrome. Imagine , for three centuries they have had a free reign of everything and everywhere under the sun. Freebies and  ...

Right!
Why couln't I analysis  questions so intensive as you?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.