Author: rainbow

(the) city hall [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-8-9 23:57:59 |Display all floors
Jl:

Thanks for your reply! My response is missing. I hope tomorrow it will be back.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-10 01:17:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by rainbow at 2007-8-9 06:03 AM
Sorry. I don't think "city hall" is  proper noun.

Where's Jl? I wish he would appear soon.
JL? What about me?

"City hall" (without the "the") refers to "The municipal government, especially its officials considered as a group." (The best known phrase is you can't fight city hall, referring to it as "an entrenched and insensitive bureaucracy, especially of a city.")

It's not a proper noun but occasionally it is capitalized.

"The city hall" would refer to the actual buildings (e.g., "The City Hall of Stockholm is one of the most beautiful and well known buildings in the world"; "These unique cameras are located atop the City Hall in center city Philadelphia"), not the government.

Below, the city hall of San Francisco as found on Flickr.
496697501_d189de223d.jpg
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-10 01:23:21 |Display all floors
To clarify, leaving out "the" here is not optional.

If the sentence had said "when the city hall releases its report tomorrow," it would sound awkward and even confusing, as if the building were handing out a report.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2007-8-10 01:26:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jeff_in_sf at 2007-8-9 01:17 PM
JL? What about me?   

It helps if you appear more often. (Exhibit 1: Nos. of posts by you and me)

When you say "the city hall of San Franciso", wouldn't you need to use "the" whether you are
referring to the building or the municipal government?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-10 06:54:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jl2315 at 2007-8-9 09:26 AM
It helps if you appear more often.  (Exhibit 1: Nos. of posts by you and me)

When you say "the city hall of San Francisco", wouldn't you need to use "the" whether you are
referring to the building or the municipal government?
Haha, JL, I don't appear more often because you're so much better and quicker at answering the questions than I am.  Usually, there's nothing left for me to do! (I just tend to help rainbow a lot. :))

That's a good question. I guess we might say "The city hall of San Francisco consists of the mayor, the board of supervisors, etc..." (we could also say "City hall in San Francisco" there)  but, generally, we really wouldn't say "the city hall of San Francisco" when referring to actions the municipal government takes. It seems like "city hall" refers to institution in the abstract. It's a little like saying "Beijing" or "Washington" for the government; "Beijing" or "Washington" are not really referring to the cities in those cases.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-10 08:58:29 |Display all floors

You're often on my mind too

Dear Jeff:

Thanks for your cool answer to my question this time as you always did. You're as nice as jl and many people here who have been helping many guys out. You're often on my mind too.

I am clear on it now. The city hall of San Francisco is indeed pretty. Thanks for sharing with us.:)

[ Last edited by rainbow at 2007-8-10 09:02 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-10 09:41:49 |Display all floors
To further the talk, we may compare it to "White House". Isn't it interesting?
"The" is always much more complicated than I think. I wouldn't say that rules about "the" aren't helpful, but, the rules seem to be in infinite numbers. So my suggestion is one should follow his/her own sense (acquired through extensive reading ).  It's good to post questions like this, rainbow, but chances are you don't get them fixed right in here.
If winter comes, can spring be frozen ahead?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.