Author: xiayiqiang

Korean hostages rest in the hands of Hamid Karzai and Bush??? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-8-11 05:50:27 |Display all floors

It is a correct or incorrect decision.

Dear kiwi mate,

I am so glad to hear from you again . I hope you are " managing " .  I welcome debate , I thrive on it . So don't apologize simply because we don't agree on a point. Why would I need a " yes men " group  around me for?

This life-n-death situation is much more complex than letting someone use an ATM card . To families of the hostages, nothing matters except for their loved ones' release. They are being torn asunder right now just agonizing and waiting . Unbearable torture .  To those who can afford the luxury of pontifications on principles because none of their lives or limbs are at risk , then  " no negotiations "  may sound tough and proper .

So there is no "  right " or   " wrong " decisions : it is more a  " correct " or " incorrect " decision .  Don't forget , lives with real blood and flesh are at stake .  Regards.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-12 08:44:43 |Display all floors

The Koreans are negotiating .

The Koreans have been negotiating with the Talibans and for the past three days !  They are not embarrassed with " negotiating with the terrorists " because their own flesh and blood is on the chopping block .

It is a pity that the self appointed righteous zealots cannot feel other peoples' pain and thus dare to pontificate the sort of pseudo bravado which is both unrealistic and uncaring . It is so easy to be brave from behind your computer !!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-13 17:07:29 |Display all floors
i think little probability for America to compromise with Taliban!
first,even America would undertake huge pressure when it fight against Taliban and lead to the death of hostages.because it like pulling out one hair out of  a sheep.American government has been accused by not other countries, but also by their citizens!!
second,superpower is nature to US.he like to take a war with the terrorism rather than compromise.
third,serious relatinship between terrorism and the us.its ulmost hatred makes it fight ,especially after the 9/11 terrorist attack!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-13 22:04:15 |Display all floors

Reply #15 ---- mengzhi's post...

You wrote,

"So there is no "  right " or   " wrong " decisions : it is more a  " correct " or " incorrect " decision .  Don't forget , lives with real blood and flesh are at stake ."

1.  Based on past actions by these Islamic terrorists, would you agree that if South Korea, or any nation, is will to pay for, or trade favors for, the release of its hostages, then the same and other terrorist groups would be encouraged to continue the practice of taking hostages to gain concessions?

2.  If you agree with the first point, then how can you categorize a decision to release two dozen hostages and lead to the probability of even more hostages in the future (hundreds?) as being the 'correct' decision.  How are you going to decide whose family is more important, and what is a fair trade/price for their safety?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-14 11:34:02 |Display all floors

Stop playing games .

Reply # 18  nosferatu ,

You are working with  false and baseless assumptions . You think of these " terrorists " as ONE monolithic , control and command centered corporation at work . Nothing is further from the truth . Kidnappings in conflict zones like Afghanistan  , Iraq and Palestine are carried out by a number of separate and different organizations with widely divergent aims . There are the insurgents who use hostages to  exchange for their own in the government prisons, there are those who kidnap for financial gains alone and then there are those who wants the spot light on their purely criminal act s.  There are more but let us leave them at these.

It is an open secret that governments , including the US have paid up for release of hostages. Family members could have insisted on it or governments have secretly complied with the kidnappers for the release of prisoners in exchange , withdrawal of whole contingent of troops ( Spain ) and combinations of these . We mere mortals will never know and we do not need to know . When they have got you by the short and curly , when they pull , you go where they want you to go.

So this brave and bold and no let up nonsense is just that . You can be so principled if your loved ones are not underneath the guillotine blade .

The correct thing to do is not to expose further nationals in harm's way . The South Koreans need to consider preventing any more  " do gooders " to go to Afghanistan unless they are there under the UN banner and flag. To naively saunter up to one of the most dangerous place on earth simply to be a good Samaritan is so childlike it is to tempt fate .

The surest guarantee is not to have your nationals there. Then no kidnapping can happen.

[ Last edited by mengzhi at 2007-8-14 11:35 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-15 00:46:20 |Display all floors

Reply #19 --- mengzhi's post....

You wrote,

"You are working with  false and baseless assumptions . You think of these " terrorists " as ONE monolithic , control and command centered corporation at work . "

===>  I have never said/written that.  The number of terrorist groups does not alter my opinion, or the risk of encouraging additional/similar kidnappings.

You wrote,

"It is an open secret that governments , including the US have paid up for release of hostages. "

==>  I have never denied this.  I said the the United States 'stated policy' was not to deal with terrorist organizations.  I disagree with any trades for hostages made by the United States.

You wrote,

"We mere mortals will never know and we do not need to know . When they have got you by the short and curly , when they pull , you go where they want you to go."

===>  Only if if you are weak and spineless.  And willing to put additional people at risk.

You wrote,

"So this brave and bold and no let up nonsense is just that . You can be so principled if your loved ones are not underneath the guillotine blade ."

===>  I will not sacrifice my principles based on your stupidity.

You wrote,

"The correct thing to do is not to expose further nationals in harm's way . "

===>  The United States can restrict humanitarian aid organizations/groups to certain limits.  Because American citizens have the freedom to live their lives as they wish, they can also find a way to by-pass even these restrictions.

You wrote,

"To naively saunter up to one of the most dangerous place on earth simply to be a good Samaritan is so childlike it is to tempt fate .

The surest guarantee is not to have your nationals there. Then no kidnapping can happen"

===> This is true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-15 05:24:03 |Display all floors
Most admirable qualities of steadfast principles and bravado . Good for you . You come back if or when  ( heaven forbids ) one of your close friends or family is in a hostage position and tell me how " brave " you are .

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.