Author: changabula

Russia Plants Flag Under North Pole [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-8-6 18:08:42 |Display all floors
United States to claim Arctic seabed ‘as large as they can’

A United States icebreaker leaves Seattle Monday for an Arctic research mission shortly after Russia's identical expedition designed to lay claim to a section of the resource-rich region, the Coast Guard said.

http://english.pravda.ru/world/a ... ted_states_arctic-0
icebreaker-1.jpg
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-7 04:25:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by changabula at 2007-8-6 01:43
Why are you so angry at this piece of news, trader?

Are you angry with me for bringing this news to everyone's attention  or the Russians for making this bold move?

Because Aunty Changbula - while the events at the north pole are amusing to watch from afar, it has yet to be determined in China's favor for future enegry resources.  Last time I checked, Mr. Putin expelled a majority of foreign oil companies out of Russian oil fields and as of yet, there is no dicision of an oil pipeline that does not bypass China on the way to Vladiostock.

It will be interesting to see all of your rah-rah's for Russia now turn into boos if/when Russia holds China by the balls for oil.

The commanders and fighters of the entire Chinese People's Liberation Army absolutely must not relax in the least their will to fight; any thinking that relaxes the will to fight and belittles the enemy is wrong. - Mao
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-7 05:30:22 |Display all floors
I honestly think Russia and China are already competing. This Sino-Russian alliance is so bogus I can hardly believe people buy into it. It's interesting that, for all the talk, China and Russia have had one, soon two, major joint exercises. Yet, those are the only exercises they seem to have had. There don't appear to be any small-scale exercises going on between them, and the two are tied into the Shanghai Cooperation Organization. On the other hand China is constantly conducting joint exercises with other countries. They've had joint naval exercises with the U.S., India, and several European countries. They've had other joint training exercises with Central Asian and Thailand. Those may have been small little cooperative measures, but that's just it. Small cooperative measures are far more meaningful and important than giant, overdone exercises.

Small exercises are more conducive with establishing some sort of common ground and brotherhood, if you will. A few ships sailing together is going to involve a more personal interaction between the forces, while large joint exercises seem to be little more than showing off to each other.

I personally think the SCO is just China's way of extending itself into Central Asia, but doing so in a way that gets Russia's approval. The ties with Russia are aimed mainly at China building up its military, but China is becoming far more capable by itself like with J-10 and other domestic projects. Eventually, Russia is gonna find itself with a China that doesn't need Russian weapons and doesn't want them. It will also be a China that is increasingly encroaching on Russia's backyard and becoming friendlier with the West.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-7 12:57:30 |Display all floors
Russia intends to extend its monopolization on gas,especially  when is the shortage of gas on the grobal     market,which reminds us of development on the renew resourses---wind.solar,engergy from dam.
how ridiculous theRussia's deed is,it pushs  me  back to the 15th century,it's not  Columbus' time,how could they do this.
  So ,undoubtfully,it's easy to be criticized by the public!!!!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-7 13:33:36 |Display all floors

Reply #18 schreiber's post

I would think that drilling for oil in the North pole to be very expensive logistically?

It's just a little game by the Russians!
Maybe for NATIONALISTIC BRAGGING rights!
and maybe some military budget enhancing moves for the navy or airforce.

ha ha ha

Green Dragon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-7 20:37:49 |Display all floors
Seneca are always so stupid?
I'm from such former "enslave" by Russian country and I tell you: today we are much more 'enslaved' by US and it is not a bit better than before 1989.

Police state is EVERYWHERE out of america according to FOX TV propaganda.... Especially if it is not pro american country.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-7 21:14:57 |Display all floors
I am sure that you are becoming more and more paranoid, vic.

Originally posted by tradervic at 2007-8-7 04:25

It will be interesting to see all of your rah-rah's for Russia now turn into boos if/when Russia holds China by the balls for oil.

All what I have done is cut and paste this incredible Russian breakthrough.

I never made any comment about it.
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.