Author: clearwater

有关Apple iPhone [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor

Post time 2007-7-6 22:02:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pjtran at 2007-7-6 08:50 AM
"too great for it not to happen in the long term"...it will be happened in the near future!

Not really.  It's very likely to happen in the long term, but not likely to happen in the short term.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-6 23:45:40 |Display all floors
No, it is not "........It's very likely to happen in the long term, but not likely to happen in the short term......"

The phrase does not rule out the possibility that it can happen quite soon. There is no such indication whatsoever. Not that I can see, anyway.

It can happen in the near future. However, it may also be the case that it will take much longer than expected to happen. But it is quite unconceivable that it will not happen at all in the long term.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-7 06:17:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pjtran at 2007-7-6 21:50
"too great for it not to happen in the long term"...it will be happened in the near future!

too great for it not to happen in the long term
->
too great for it to happen not in the long term?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-7 08:35:13 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-7 08:36:31 |Display all floors
I think the opportunity for third-party developers is too great for it not to happen in the long term.
试译:
我认为,从长远来看,第三方开发人员面临的这个大好机遇一定会出现。

[ Last edited by clearwater at 2007-7-7 08:42 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-7 08:43:59 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jl2315 at 2007-7-6 21:41
Put another way: it is bound to happen in the long term.

in the long term不是修饰happen的,而是应当修饰整个句子的。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-7 09:28:19 |Display all floors
(1)三种可能

{ I think the opportunity for third-party developers is too great for it not to happen} in the long term
--->
In the long term, { I think the opportunity for third-party developers is too great for it not to happen}
长期,我认为。。。(这个显然不对)
I think {the opportunity for third-party developers is too great for it not to happen} in the long term
--->
I think,in the long term, {the opportunity for third-party developers is too great for it not to happen}
机会,长期,会很大,所以一定会出现(马上吗?)。(机会其实现在就很大了,所以这个也不对)
I think the opportunity for third-party developers is too great for {it not to happen in the long term}
--->
I think the opportunity for third-party developers is too great for {it not to happen in the long term}
机会很大,长期来讲一定会出现(机会现在就很大,当要等出现。。还要过一段长时间)

(2)in the long term 的含义,

14        term  
        You use the expressions in the long term, in the short term, and in the medium term to talk about what will happen over a long period of time, over a short period of time, and over a medium period of time.
            The agreement should have very positive results in the long term.
            In the short term, chemical sprays are clearly an effective way to control pests.
            In the medium term the UK car industry has a brighter outlook.
        PHR: PHR with cl  

(3)
I think the opportunity for third-party developers is too great for it not to happen in the long term.
试译:
我认为,从长远来看,第三方开发人员面临的这个大好机遇一定会出现。
=
我认为第三方开发人员面临的这个大好机遇从长远来看一定会出现。

虽然位置放在了前面,其实修饰的是"一定会出现”

(4)it 不是指代,机会,而是开发商开发程序的能力

请赐教

[ Last edited by hly2008 at 2007-7-7 09:35 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.