Views: 3784|Replies: 4

the world's smallest violin playing just for you [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-7-1 20:50:16 |Display all floors
we a bunch of guys  went to a bar to chill out last night. after a couple of beers, one guy had got to leave early. we uttered a "boo" then  he goes like "the world's smallest violin playing just for you"

Does it mean anything?
Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish 求知若饥, 虚心若愚
www.youtube.com/watch?v=60cDHb-tvMA

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-1 21:38:36 |Display all floors
无动于衷
Burning Alone

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-1 21:41:11 |Display all floors
Perhaps it means he doesn't care about the disrupted atomosphere. In Chinese, it may be translated as something like "wudongyuzhong".
Burning Alone

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-2 09:51:35 |Display all floors

Small violin... little pity for your situation...

Originally posted by bxwz2004 at 2007-7-1 20:50
the world's smallest violin playing just for you

we a bunch of guys  went to a bar to chill out last night. after a couple of beers, one guy had got to leave early. we uttered a "boo" then  he goes like "the world's smallest violin playing just for you"

Does it mean anything?

I am not sure what linjian has said to you.

But, people often use this kind of expression to say that people are acting pitifully. This is because a violin is often used to make very sad or sorrowful music.

By saying that it's "the world's smallest violin playing just for you" the person is indicating that he has very little, or more likely 'no', pity for your sorrowful situation, i.e. that you are upset that he is leaving.

I assume he's a friend of yours, so he just said it for fun, he didn't mean it seriously as an insult or sign of disrespect. I presume he had something else to do, or just wanted to get to sleep early.
TTFN

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-2 19:12:12 |Display all floors
got it.

Thank you for your detailed explanation, nuewurldorda.  

Thank you for your help, linjian.

I really appreciate your replies.
Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish 求知若饥, 虚心若愚
www.youtube.com/watch?v=60cDHb-tvMA

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.