Author: holly666

C-E: how to say "女大十八变"? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-6-22 11:25:54 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 1st_resp at 2007-6-22 10:51
Hi Holly - I have a question about the Chinese language - Is this a saying, or common phrase? Something a mother would say to her child? I ask because the literal translation lacks poetry in Englis ...

The "big" in the Chinese sentence means " growing into, reaching the age of", and so, 18  is her age. The "change" generally refers to her physical appearance, the looks, body, etc. It's just like your next-door girl, formerly an inconspicuous, ordinary-looking slip of girl, suddenly turning into a beautiful, suave, urbane lady just on another ordinary day. The day she hits 18 or so and the day you notice the changes.
If winter comes, can spring be frozen ahead?

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2007-6-22 11:33:04 |Display all floors

To 1st: A girl growing up is a new girl every day.

:)

女 a girl
大 growing up (mainly for the period from adolescent to young adult)
十八 18 (just means some large number)
变 changes (metamorphism?)

A girl growing up undergoes innumerable changes -- usually favorable changes (remember the ugly duckling?), but it can be used in a negative sense also.  Also, applies to changes in both physical appearance and in personality (temperament, maturity, etc.).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-22 11:47:06 |Display all floors
Those are wonderful answers. Thank you everyone. It is very important to compliment a young woman especially to her family. We do the same thing. I can see the poetry in the saying now that I know about the gods metamorphosis. Great explanations. Thank you.
Husband, father, farmer, logger, woodcutter, and rancher

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.