Author: changabula

Indian Inventions, Discoveries and Other Contributions   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-6-18 19:19:21 |Display all floors
INVENTION OF DECIMAL SYSTEM:

According to Dr. Thomas Arya, a German writer, “The weights used by the Indus Valley (2500 BC) followed a binary system and measurement based on the decimal system”. Pierre Laplace said, “How grateful we should be to the Hindus who discovered the great Decimal System!"

1. http://www.vidyabharati.org/quotedetailf.asp?sno=22
Copy code
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-19 01:30:56 |Display all floors
Inventions that are beyond tomorrow

Mandira Nayar

NEW DELHI: Seventy-year-old Mohammad Saidullah does not wait for boats. He can literally "walk" across water without any magic. No Leonardo da Vinci, he invented an amphibious bicycle that "wades" across water to get to his wife, Noor, during a flood in Bihar.

This romantic twist in the tale apart, his invention is not only about the power of love but also about the greater power of imagination. While there may be many other inventors like him in the country who might not have studied the complicated theories of higher physics but have the ability to think out of the box to come up with completely new solutions to old problems, Saidullah is just one of the "discovered" geniuses that India has.

While he was unable to come to Delhi because he was unwell, his invention -- a bright orange bike -- was one of the highlights at a Discovery Channel press conference this past Wednesday.

The channel has tied up with National Innovation Foundation and will be airing short films on a few grassroots innovators in the country like Saidullah during its programme "Beyond Tomorrow" starting this coming Monday. The programme talks about new inventions around the world that will be an integral part of the future. Dressed in tight blue denim jeans and wearing a denim jacket, Prem Singh Saini with four mobile phones is the face of the new generation of farmers in Haryana. Having stopped going to school from Class X, Saini has done what most mobile manufacturers have not managed to do -- use his mobile phone to switch on and off tube-wells.

"You can also switch your AC on and off with the mobile phone. I have also made a robot. It's important that people realise that a boy from a small village in the country can invent so many things, " he said.

Incidentally most of the inventors that came to the Capital with their unique products had other discoveries to their name and were not first-time innovators.

From Remya Jose of Kerala who has a paddle-operated washing machine to Mansukh Prajapati of Gujarat who has his own refrigerator company "Mitticool", these innovators have been working hard to make the lives of others more comfortable.

To keep vegetables fresh for up to five days, Prajapati has made a refrigerator that does not consume electricity and costs only Rs. 2,000. "It takes about eight days to make. The best part of my fridge is that the taste of the vegetables remains the same, unlike regular fridges. Now am working on an "R-O", in which the salty water gets separated, " said Prajapati, a potter by profession.

1. http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/thscrip/print.pl?file=2006021803480200.htm&date=2006/02/18/&prd=th&
Copy code

NEW PROGRAMME: (From Left) Discovery Networks India managing director Deepak Shourie, National Innovation Foundation executive vice-chairman Anil Gupta and Council of Scientific and Industrial Research director general and National Innovation Foundat ion chairman, R.A. Mashelkar with an amphibious bicycle in New Delhi.
bike.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-19 01:36:14 |Display all floors
India is widely recognised for its four great inventions in mathematics which have greatly shaped the modern world and without which mathematics wouldn't have come very far as the American historian Will Durant said "India was the mother of our philosophy... of much of our mathematics."

The four great inventions are:

* Invention of Zero
    * Invention of the Hindu-Arabic numeral system
    * Invention of the Binary numeral system
    * Invention of the Base 10 system

Possibly India's greatest contribution in Mathematics:

[ Last edited by changabula at 2007-6-19 01:37 AM ]
397px-Arabic_numerals-en.svg.png

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-19 01:38:44 |Display all floors
Mathematical Discoveries/Inventions and Conceptual Inventions

* First known precise celestial calculations by Aryabhata
    * Earliest known work on Linguistics by Panini
    * The first detailed works on Algebra by Aryabhata, Brahmagupta and Bhāskara I
    * The first known mention of the Fibonacci sequence by Pingala
    * The earliest attempt to exaplin gravity
    * Trigonometry
    * Determining that the Sun is a star
    * Determining the number of planets in the Solar System
    * First mention of the concept of Heliocentrism by Yajnavalkya in Shatapatha Brahmana
    * The concept of the Atom
    * Democracy as the Greeks

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-19 01:55:35 |Display all floors
Billions

Along with the ancient Mayans, the ancient Indians are thought to be one of the earliest civilizations that thought in terms of billions of years. While most ancient civilizations had thought thousands of years into the future, the Hindus have scriptures dealing with events spanning billions of years..

1. http://patentednews.com/innovations/ancient-india-inventions/21/
Copy code

[ Last edited by changabula at 2007-6-19 01:58 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-19 01:56:40 |Display all floors
Hindu concept of the creation of the world

Relating to this is a Hindu concept of the creation of the world.

A 9th century Hindu scripture, The Mahapurana by Jinasena claims that the world is uncreated, as time itself is, without beginning and end. And it is based on principles.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-19 01:58:02 |Display all floors
Theories regarding the sun and Earth

Amazingly, they even had theories regarding the sun and Earth.

Aryabhata, it so happens, was apparently quite sceptical of the widely held doctrines about eclipses and also about the belief that the Sun goes round the Earth. As early as the sixth century, he talked of the diurnal motion of the earth and the appearance of the Sun going round it.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.