Views: 5310|Replies: 15

E-C: wear their faith on their sleeves; using good verses evil [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-6-5 10:29:16 |Display all floors
"I take my faith very seriously and very personally," she said. "And I come from a tradition that is perhaps a little too suspicious of people who wear their faith on their sleeves."
“我把信仰看着很严肃的个人的事,”她说。“照传统,我对那些把信仰挂在嘴上的人比较怀疑”
"The danger of using good verses evil in the context of war is that it may lead us to be not as critical as we should about our own actions," Obama said to applause.
借美好的事物作为邪恶的战争的借口非常危险,这使我们不会对自己的行为作出批评”
Please tell me if I my translation is right? Thanks.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-5 11:01:15 |Display all floors
The danger of using good verses evil in the context of war is that it may lead us to be not as critical as we should about our own actions," Obama said to applause.
用溢美之词勾勒战争的暴行是危险的,这会使我们不再对自己的行为有所思忖。

个人观点,多多包涵。

wear their faith on their sleeves

你确定是挂在嘴边?我怎么看到

wear one's heart on one's sleeve
v.
十分坦率, 感情容易激动

是否是  我对那些感情用事者颇感疑惑。

楼主的译文使我感到一阵春风拂面。

你误会了。我没别的意思。我觉得确实好啊。另外3楼的疑虑我也有,verses 还是VS, good verses evil in the context of war  这个短语中应该哪里有个介词连接一下。

如果是VS。用正义面对邪恶来诠释战争是危险的,其结果使我们不在进行批判的思考。

[ Last edited by barcelona at 2007-6-6 09:36 AM ]
Coming as I did from a family with no income at all,and with no prospects whatever,college was the narrow door that led darkness into light.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-5 12:32:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by holly666 at 2007-6-5 10:29
"I take my faith very seriously and very personally," she said. "And I come from a tradition that is perhaps a little too suspicious of people who wear their faith on thei ...

It coudn't be "versus", could it? And: translating "I come from a tradition that..." to 照传统 is bit unfaithful to the original it seems.  How about: 我接受了对....的人较抱怀疑的家教 or 我的家教令我对....的人较抱怀疑?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-6 09:03:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by barcelona at 2007-6-5 11:01
The danger of using good verses evil in the context of war is that it may lead us to be not as critical as we should about our own actions," Obama said to applause.
用溢美之词勾勒战争的暴行是 ...

Do not laugh at me, please. I'm not sure the meaning of "wear their faith on their sleeves", so I ask for help. I know "wear one's heart on one's sleeves" is a phrase, but I don't know if the former is a phrase, how to translate it. Anyway thank you for helping. I think your translation is very good. I like it. I'm a learner here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-6 11:22:27 |Display all floors
literally, to wear your faith on  your sleeve means about the same thing as to wear your heart on your sleeve.  It means that the person has a strong faith and lets everyone around them know.  From what I can tell in the original sentence,  sometimes when people 'wear their faiths on their sleeve' other people judge them because they feel that spirituality is supposed to be internal, as opposed to being broadcast around to other people.

... as for the Chinese translation, I'm no help!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-6 15:50:54 |Display all floors
I copied the original sentences. I'm not sure if verses is versus. Thank you all.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2007-6-7 11:45:25 |Display all floors
Originally posted by holly666 at 2007-6-6 02:50 AM
I copied the original sentences. I'm not sure if verses is versus. Thank you all.

肯定是 versus 之误(语音输入?)。把战争看作善与恶的对抗,我们就有可能忘记了对自己的行为也要作自我批评。

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.