Author: taikor

CIV: Canada accused China of using "soft power" for global dominance [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-6-1 22:15:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tradervic at 2007-6-1 20:38
Like the Chinese government carping about Baptist missionaries in China?  Tit for tat, folks, tit for tat

Which entice followers by defying Chinese law and claiming that their god created us?

Ridiculous.

If the Canadian spies think the Confucian institute so harmful, maybe they should propose Canadian legislative to outlaw it.
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-1 22:18:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greendragon at 2007-5-30 12:47
so, what's the big deal? ...

Yes, no big deal... Qing dinasty of in it later days refuse to learn western technology, which led to China's backwardness. We've learn from it.

Just let them get out of world trend and become hostile to Chinese culture. History will repeat itself.
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-1 22:39:50 |Display all floors

Am I the only one trying to re-check the source?

I am trying to check-out what taikor said in the opening post.

Maybe it is true? maybe it is exaggerated? The part about "Chinese in Vancouver" seems suspicious. Did anyone else try to check other sources of this story, or did you just swallow it whole and start commenting?

More later.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-1 22:58:42 |Display all floors

Seems Pretty Tame to Me

Here is a link to a Canadian Press article on the topic. They got the intelligence report  through an "Access to Information Act"  request (how about that!!).   I don't think it reflects that badly on China. It just the report of a bunch of "China-watchers".   

http://www.westmountexaminer.com ... western-hearts.html

As far as the "Chinese in Vancouver" part, maybe we'll call my wife's former classmate who lives there and see if she is demonstrating in the street, or if she even knows about the story?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-2 01:52:49 |Display all floors

Testing the boundries of "US vs THEM"

Originally posted by ronglimeng at 2007-6-1 08:39
Maybe it is true? maybe it is exaggerated? The part about "Chinese in Vancouver" seems suspicious. Did anyone else try to check other sources of this story, or did you just swallow it whole and start commenting?

I am just stirring the pot, thank you very much!

TraderVic
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-18 19:14:19 |Display all floors

soft power?

That's amusing-a spy agency created to spy on it's own people crying "foul."They are ones to talk about subverting other values.The kettle calling the pot black,I would say.
The real problem is not a foreign government attacking China verbally,I feel sorry for the Canadians who have to live under such a stupidly myopic, powerful entity.Just goes to show you that wealth isn't everything.Since it's a spy agency it is probably not accountable to the Canadian people.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-22 14:02:10 |Display all floors

I agree with the Canadians

China is doing this so the free and civilized world can think the Chinese are peaceful people when ALL along the Chinese are plotting against us. And when it comes time for them to drop the hammer, we will least expect it!

Let us be serious people. In a couple of years, there is NO way China can sustain let alone expand its economy through its own borders. They MUST seek resources from the outside. To the point where they will HAVE to counquer other lands.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.