Author: ronglimeng

Chinese workers don't smile at Customers! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-5-24 07:38:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ronglimeng at 2007-5-23 11:00
[quote]Originally posted by tirpitz at 2007-5-23 07:39
ronglimeng, thank you for enjoying my contributions on the board. Oh, i have a question,
Ni hao, I thought it was a question allread ...

Almost correct.
Ni hao = you good.
Ni hao ma = you good yes or no?
The "ma" = means you want an answer back.
Ni hao ma would only be used if you really know someone well and were interested in knowing how they really are. You would not use the "ma" to a stranger or casual conversation when first meeting.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-24 10:43:14 |Display all floors

Reply #14 ronglimeng's post

Just say " ni hao" in your funny western tune, maybe she will smile at u. I cann't think out a better way. "ni hao" is the sole frequent-used word to start a conversation. Since you are not familiar, she is waiter, has no much time to talk more, i don't know what is proper for you to continue to say. Besides, you are western guy, if you say other compliment words, maybe she will think you lure her or sth.

Anyway, don't say " ni hao ma?" to chinese, You can ask " how a u? " in english.  Chinese almost never say that, they maybe say " how a u lately?= ni zui jin zen me yang?" if they are good friends, they usuall will repy, " i am almost bored to death, i am  very depressed, my work doesn't go well. etc. Chinese like to tell their trouble to good friends.
hi

UL/CSA listed sump&sewage pump supplier

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-25 04:39:55 |Display all floors

Just tip her

Give her a 100 rmb and see if she smiles.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-25 05:57:48 |Display all floors

did my share...

i was in a buddha pagoda in guangzhou recently with my fiancee, and i was so touch by the atmosphere in the temple.  i quickly donated or contributed 100usd tp the monks that accepting donation in there...they didn't know if i were donating the whole 100usd or want some rmb back...i could tell from their expression.  and i told them it's the whole 100usd that i'm contributing to the great work of the temple & you don't have to take down my name either (i mean how often do i do that...not very for sure!).  and i did what i did!  i know & it has nothing to do with ronglimeng's post...but he understands, we're old pals from the wild west.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-25 13:59:48 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ronglimeng at 2007-5-24 06:50
Hi helen1815:

Thank you for your information.

Can you suggest a humorous greeting that a visiting westerner could use to get a laugh from a Chinese waitress?

it depends.
# a young lady or gal, you could say "you are beautiful" ===> Chinese ==== Ni Hao Piao Liang
# an older one, only "thank you" and smile to her ===> Chinese ==== Xie Xie

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-26 10:42:06 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ronglimeng at 2007-5-24 06:50
Hi helen1815:

Thank you for your information.

Can you suggest a humorous greeting that a visiting westerner could use to get a laugh from a Chinese waitress?

Try: mei nv...(美女)(Hi, Gorgeous)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-26 22:37:54 |Display all floors

[quote]lovableTry: mei nv...(美女)(Hi, Gorgeous[quote]

that's for a playboy.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.