Author: szswings

Your Voice is Dependent on You Mother Tongue [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-5-16 21:35:07 |Display all floors

who says it must be...

i'm a vietnamese chinese american...my cantonese/mandarin sounds much better than some other folks either in china or here in the STATES (i didn't claim that but some people telling me that...just to clarify with you).  so, folks...what's my native tongue?  and i have an al pacino's english accent...should i try for hollywood then...hehe!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-16 21:56:01 |Display all floors
test
Something is wrong.

[ Last edited by szswings at 2007-5-16 10:05 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-16 22:11:54 |Display all floors

Appreciated Your Post

Szswings:

I really enjoyed reading your post.

What happens if a child is raised in a multi-lingual home and learns more than one language from birth? Is it possible for such a person to really speak two or more languages fluently, so that on the telephone, you can't pick up any clues that the person is speaking a second language?

I remember watching a British TV program about the of the English language in the UK. They had some old film clips that they used to suggest that the language is getting less "creaky" now than even 50 years ago.

I also enjoy the "sounds" of language even when I don't understand them. On a recent trip to Italy, I enjoyed listening to both male and female (but most female) Italians.

I also enjoyed the sound of the actresses speaking Mandarin in the Taiwan movie "Eat, Drink, Man Women" even though I understood few words. I re-watch the movie just to listen to the girl's voices.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-16 22:50:57 |Display all floors
I do not know for chinese speach, but I can tell you that I have meet many many people across the world, and many of them spoke english in voice and gramar identical to lets say an american. I have a chinese friend in texas, and he came over about 8 years ago from mainland china, and when I speak with him he sounds like a texan, you would not be able to tell, for instance, on the phone if he was non native texan.
<< Live is the same for all, it is one great adventure with a deadly end. >>

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-16 23:03:43 |Display all floors

don't we all...

ronglimeng...we have something in common & that's lady's voice (as long as they don't whine/nag)...i fall in love with my lady there just b/c of her sensual erotic voive of the fone & later found out that she's more attractive than her voice (i've met her finally in china...ooh yes!)...my god i'm so kucky to have both things 'bout her.  
ps!  SZSWINGS...ithank you for re-routing us & didn't know, 大山 is a canuck like my good friend, ronglimeng, and i learn chinese from him via CCTV9...he's doing a great job & plz keep him on the payroll.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-16 23:08:13 |Display all floors
While I was still in the school, there were basically two types of English learners: the fervant advocators of the southern? english accent (or RP) and those who seemed not care about it at all.

Most of my friends in the formal group (well not many actually)claimed that they were not merely attracted to the sound of RP, but also the ways it will make them sound like: A real gentle man/woman and 'far' more educated than like if they speak in an American way.

Could it be in fact the reflection of the characteristics of the accents and not just the different voices that decides which type of English we will like better?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-16 23:18:39 |Display all floors
Could be, I find it funny when my english colege and I (original german, but 26 years in america now) talke to the local chinese people that speak english.
They always tell him that they dont understand his english, and that they understand my english just fine. It makes him so mad.
Just proves that the one thing wrong with the English (british) people is, that they cant speak english worth a damn.
<< Live is the same for all, it is one great adventure with a deadly end. >>

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.