Author: shelley_z

"不屑于做某事"怎么翻译? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-5-2 09:47:02 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jl2315 at 5-2-2008 00:42

Deign?

To think it appropriate to one's dignity; condescend: wouldn't deign to greet the servant who opened the door. See Synonyms at stoop1. (American Heritage Dictionary)

肯定是这个,rouofhk 的记忆果然了得,jl2315猜谜的功夫也不简单,我正想猜猜呢,一看这么准,思维完全定在上面了,想来没有更妥帖的词儿了
Burning Alone

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-2 10:34:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by linjian at 2008-5-2 09:47

To think it appropriate to one's dignity; condescend: wouldn't deign to greet the servant who opened the door. See Synonyms at stoop1. (American Heritage Dictionary)

肯定是这个,rouofhk 的记 ...

Thanks a million to jl!  The world, I mean, the word, is saved!  If this is not it, it must be extremely close! (Once again thanks to my extremely good memory, hey hey hey). But the examples I get from the entry of this word in my frequently used dictionary do seem to differ from what I remembered. That's puzzling.  I of course looked at the synonyms of this word but none looked more like it.
世上就怕“认真”二字,I'll try my best

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-2 11:36:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by rouofhk at 4-15-2008 12:24

Ha, let me thrash a dead horse.  

I think "above" is pretty colloquial, but I came across another word the other day and it probably (but I am NOT sure.... thanks to my extremel ...

http://www.google.cn/search?aq=f ... mp;q=didn%27t-even-*-to-look-up-when&btnG=Google+%E6%90%9C%E7%B4%A2&meta=

共有 26 项符合didn't-even-*-to-look-up-when的查询结果,以下是第 1 - 26 项  从使用频率和自然程度看,我觉得该是bother

Even Homer nods.
Burning Alone

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-3 11:46:01 |Display all floors
be indolent in doing something?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-3 14:11:12 |Display all floors

be indolent in doing something

是怠于做某事.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.