Author: middlekingdo

The Opium Wars [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-5-14 02:33:05 |Display all floors

The opium question is a very old sore ....

"The opium question is a very old sore.  The manner in which foreigners interfered with the native authorities who were doing everything in their power to repress the habit, has been pointed out as an indication of the general depravity of Europeans[you know who in particular?].  They are engrossed with one sole idea - the making of money; and if they can make money, they are nover over-particular about rights or morals.  

Nothing has done so much harm to the cause of the missionary as this forcing of the opium trade upon the people. [trouble, trouble, for the preachers!]  Even native Christians feel very keenly about this matter.  The missionaries have therefore consistently attacked this traffic, which discounts a good deal of what they teach regarding unselfishness, benevolence, and virtue, said to characterise those believing in the foreign religion.

Passing from the historic to the present-day question, we find that the opium duty allowed by foreign Powers is utterly unfair and inadequate.  While the revenue from this source in foreign places, such as Hong Kong and Singapore, has increased by leaps and bounds, the Cinese Govt is bound by the cupidity (= GREED for money or possession) of foreign traders to the same old rate [knows who ultimately pocketed most of the vice money?].  The Chinese people recognise this and resent it naturally.

Europeans complain that the Chinese are always trying to evade the responsibilities imposed by treaties [mutually agreed or entered into by coercion?]; the latter, on the other hand, charge the former with the same, whever the provisions are unfavourable to them [hmmm...]. .... And the Chinese instance the provisions relating to opium, in the Chefoo Convention, which remained unratified by England [finally, we gotcha!] for ten years.

Had China done the same, would not Tientsin have been threatened, and possibly might not Pekin have been captured once more?"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-14 02:45:32 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 13-5-2007 11:25 AM
You are angry,

Wrong, I am happy. Thanks for your concern anyway. How is your happy life away from the hardships faced by many in China?

like your mate emu

Never met the guy. Are you so insecure that you cannot accept more than one person objecting to your xenophobic ranting?

You don't like what you see because there are a lot of eggs on the face.

FFS what are you dribbling on about?
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-14 02:50:02 |Display all floors
You are angry,

Wrong, I am happy. Thanks for your concern anyway. How is your happy life away from the hardships faced by many in China?

like your mate emu

Never met the guy. Are you so insecure that you cannot accept more than one person objecting to your xenophobic ranting?

You are so used to acquiescent Chinese and Asians because they don't speak English well

FFS what are you dribbling on about? Thankfully you have never met my Asian friends or know what language we use to discuss things.

they are too polite to confront the bigotry and zealotry that you spew

Show me anywhere on these forums where I have made a comment that could be construed as bigoted.

You have the whole forum to search and provide evidence for your ludicrous claims.

Just because I highlight your painfully obvious anti-West streak don’t even attempt to tar me with the brush that exposes your myopic view on the World.

The opium wars have NO justifiable reasons, now matter how much you and your ilk try to spin and shine it up.

Where did I say that the wars were justified? Answer, I did not.

Where exactly did I say what you claim? Answer, I did not.

The only spin comes from you as you again seek to label others.

Stop pretending to be an ignorant f*ckwit. You know perfectly well what I have written and what I have no written in this thread.

Finally, learn how to use the quote button and learn how to post a URL. The quote button will actually stop you from making up vicious and fabricated claims about other people’s posts.
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-14 02:50:28 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-14 02:50:51 |Display all floors
You are so used to acquiescent Chinese and Asians because they don't speak English well

FFS what are you dribbling on about? Thankfully you have never met my Asian friends or know what language we use to discuss things.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-14 02:52:07 |Display all floors

Show me anywhere on these forums where I have made a comment that could be construed as bigoted.

You have the whole forum to search and provide evidence for your ludicrous claims.

Don’t attempt to tar me with the brush that exposes your myopic view on the World.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-14 02:52:37 |Display all floors

Do not attempt to tar me with the brush that exposes your myopic view on the World.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.