Author: middlekingdo

The Opium Wars [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-5-13 04:30:43 |Display all floors
The fact I ask for elaboration on was why the wars started. There were specific events which the original posted omitted in his claims so I chose to go and look it up.

No, the ball is in your court. Provide links to support what you are talking about and try to post in an objective way.

Perhaps you are unable to go back and see the anti-West rhetoric you perpetuate? Although I don’t think you are that ignorant.

I await your usual response which probably contains some cheap put-downs etc ..
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-13 04:42:06 |Display all floors

Drug Runner.

tmphgt,

You sound like an invalid on crutches ; give me links, give me google. Find them if you need and do it if you must. I do not do nappy change. The history of the Rule Britannia exploits and brutalities are proudly documented in encyclopedic  volumes under " history of the East India Company ". If you are half as interested in facts as your babbling rhetoric suggest , then get off your butt and look for them. " quote button " indeed !

I am awaiting  some explanation or excuses for foisting this most addictive drug on the population of a sovereign state with the help and force of an arm of His Majesty's Service : the Royal Navy. This is the one and only navy in world history who executed an assignment of world wide drug running. Got to be worth a medal or a mention in the dispatches. What ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-13 08:10:57 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 2007-5-13 05:28
Are you guys denying that the " Opium wars " in China ever occured ?  ...

Mengzhi and his ongoing "straw man" tactic of dealing with the Opium War issue.

Tmphgt, forget trying to talk sensibly about this subject with the idiot.

It doesn't matter how much we agree that opium trafficking is wrong, when the contributing factors are raised (the existing market for Opium, the exploitation by native Chinese dealers and distributors & the trade imbalance caused by the arrogant leadership which refused to accept any alternative form of payments - bleeding Europe dry of silver) then Mengzhi uses that to set up his flimsy straw men.

He's an arse. Not an ignorant arse, mind you. He's fully aware of all the facts of this matter, which is why he's quick to jump on any diversionary tactic, as the awful truth would harm his racist claim of his own ethnic superiority over we white anglo-celtic Europeans.

JB

[ Last edited by emucentral at 2007-5-13 10:23 AM ]
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-13 12:17:14 |Display all floors

Mind your language.

I think emu is hurt ,his ego dented, diminished and disappearing . You look at those silly excuses you have offered.

#1. Existing market for opium. Yes Chinese did indulge in opium in those days of hardship. That was the reason for selling the stuff to them ( enforced ) in shiploads ? Australia at present has a epidemic of " ice " use, do I have your permission to exploit this similar  " market ".

#2. Arrogant Chinese leadership refusing to accept any alternative forms of payments !? And what may those be ? More opium ? Why would silver , the legal tender in those days , be " drained " from Britain. No money no buy  right ? This is also a " reason " for selling opium ? What if I go down to the supermarket and get myself a trolley load of goodies in exchange for " ice " ?

The more you worm the more you squirm. So stop it , it will only make you blind. The problem Jeeves is with you , not with me. And don't hold back with the " idiot and arse " bit . Typical graduate of an Australian language university, can't help showing off.  

[ Last edited by mengzhi at 2007-5-13 12:20 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-13 15:53:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 12-5-2007 08:42 PM
You sound like an invalid on crutches

Here ends any meaningful discussion with mengzhi. How big and brave mengzhi is, slinging his little put-downs from behind his keyboard - a keyboard comfortably stashed in Oz away from the many real hardships faced by Chinese people today.

Watch how reasoned explanations are countered by mengzhi's typical cheap insults. Note how each post here by mengzhi is sprinkled with his ongoing dislike of Western nations as he dodges and ducks away from providing background reading for others. Mengzhi's "opinion" is worthless because it is driven by spite rather than a genuine interest in discussion.

Nobody has denied the Opium Wars. Some have asked for a better explanation of the events that lead to the wars.

The great thing about this BBS is that all the posts in this thread can be read by others.

I am lucky. During my travels in China I have met many interesting and intelligent people who would engage in discussion about events in the past, present and future in a constructive way.
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-13 16:00:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 13-5-2007 12:10 AM
Tmphgt, forget trying to talk sensibly about this subject with the idiot.

Agreed. Let those who wish to research the Opium Wars find some credible references elsewhere rather than receive their history lessons tinged with mengzhi's myopic bigotry.

Also observe how many times mengzhi contradicts himself in this thread:

Originally posted by mengzhi at 12-5-2007 01:59 AM
You are correct to bring this event up and to demand an apology.

Originally posted by mengzhi at 12-5-2007 11:15 AM
I happen to be the person advising middlekingdo NOT to seek an apology from the descendents of the opium war lords

Originally posted by mengzhi at 12-5-2007 07:28 PM
Now it is up to you beneficiaries of that loot to do something decent like acknowledging it, say sorry ( shock horror ) and atone for it in some fashion.  

The quote button is so useful

Now, how about seeking an apology for what the Indonesian's did to the Chinese? I know that doesn't fit with the anti-West agenda here .... The events were far more recent ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-13 19:25:49 |Display all floors

Blind to reality.

tmphgt,

You are angry, like your mate emu because I show you up as a mirror would. You don't like what you see because there are a lot of eggs on the face. You are so used to acquiescent Chinese and Asians because they don't speak English well or they are too polite to confront the bigotry and zealotry that you spew. I am atypical because I grew up in the school of hard knocks : the harder the knocks, the less I move.

The opium wars have NO justifiable reasons, now matter how much you and your ilk try to spin and shine it up. It was one of the most criminal acts by a sovereign so called " civilised " nation on a defenceless country. It is amusingly sad to hear more of this babbling from those who are supposedly educated in trying to put some whitewash on it. You can call me what you like and be as personal and " offensive " as you like. I know that lots and lots of Chinese and reasoned people around the world agree with me. The more you rant the higher I see your white flag of surrender . Raise it more if you wish.

Confucius said ' There is no one more blind that those who would not see ".

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.