Author: middlekingdo

The Opium Wars [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-5-12 05:59:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by erasmus at 2007-5-12 04:18
I disagree, i dont believ it is our place to appologise for things that occured so long ago.

If it was how far do you go ack because at point or another every country has invaded or wronged anot ...

So long ago?  It was not that long ago.  Maybe only 150 years ago.  

so following your chain of logic, If I today poisoned your country with a drug and then forced you to stop trying to stop it from spreading and then fought a war with your country so I can make money by distributing drugs, I am not at fault 150 years later?

Sure, in that case, I'll start right away.
"When I am White, I win because I'm White.  When I'm Black, I win because I am Bogoljubow."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-12 06:07:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tmphgt at 2007-5-12 03:58

According to Google sources the Opium Wars were waged when things turned nasty during the opium "trade". Trade being in quotes because it was deemed illegal.

[url]http://en.wikiped ...

So if I started selling marijuana in Britain to your kids and the government tries to stop it, it is not morally correct for the government is it?

I hate to use this cliche term, but no other word describes tmphgt as well as  "spin doctor"
"When I am White, I win because I'm White.  When I'm Black, I win because I am Bogoljubow."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-12 06:56:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by middlekingdo at 2007-5-12 05:59

so following your chain of logic, If I today poisoned your country with a drug and then forced you to stop trying to stop ...

your going to live to be over 150 years old?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-12 07:20:29 |Display all floors
Originally posted by middlekingdo at 2007-5-12 05:59

so following your chain of logic, If I today poisoned your country with a drug and then forced you to stop trying to stop ...

well if you live 150 years you would be at fault however should you have passed away then the guilt will have too. I wouldn't blame your children or grandchildren or great grandchildren for your crimes.

Just the same as I dont hold a grudge against any of the Japanese who had nothing to do with world war 2 (my grandfather was a Jap POW and was on the Burma-Thailand railway)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-12 07:27:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by erasmus at 2007-5-12 07:20

well if you live 150 years you would be at fault however should you have passed away then the guilt will have too. I wouldn't blame your children or grandchildren or great grandchildren for y ...

the chinese are still thirsty for revenge

and in a few more years the royal navy defending Britain will be a fleet of 10 rowing boats and one steam powered flagship due to cutbacks

they will walk right in!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-12 07:52:57 |Display all floors
Even then I still think we stand  good chance :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-12 09:59:13 |Display all floors

No honour among thieves.

Dear middlekingdo,

You are correct to bring this event up and to demand an apology. The trouble here is , you are not dealing with reasonable and sensible people , you are dealing with a bunch of descendents of the imperialist / colonialists. These are the offsprings of those who roamed the world to rape, ravage and rampage through the seven seas. They grabbed whatever they wanted and paid for nothing. With China, the allure and greed for Chinese silk, porcelain and tea was so great and the coffer so bare, they thought up this scheme of forcing an addictive substance ( opium ) on the Chinese people in  exchange ( robbed ) for those goodies. Even the opium was free, grown and collected by India. The mighty Royal Navy was the enforcer of this, the world's greatest deal in illegal substance. Under the Britannia Rules, those precious cargoes could not be touched by foreigners. Eventually when some bold Chinese decided to rebel, they were massacred and an unequal treaty signed , with a gun to the Chinese head.

It is all  history now. Middlekingdo, you need to realise that for this hurt to be righted, you need principled, honest , caring people with conscience. Where do find such people ? Certainly not among those who have penned their distaste to admitting guilt or even trying to atone their past sins. They did benefit from all those criminal enterprise though , they conveniently forgot to tell you.  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.