Author: cobbercobber

does western easily to say 'I love you'? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-5-9 14:23:44 |Display all floors
it sounds to me like he was just paying you a compliment and to add further credibility to his claim he has said that he loves you , take it as a compliment and smile :) it sounds like you have got yourself a great haircut  :)
There are no Ugly women , only those with low self esteem .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-9 16:32:50 |Display all floors
I'll answer to your question as a westerner and tell you that it is definitely not said that easily :)
We may be jokin' when "fakin'" a flirt or whatever... But love's love.

I'll just say that everyone is different... Maybe was it normal for him... Maybe not.
My girlfriend always tells me how much she hates me to express her love, everyone is different ;)

So no... It is not a western habit to say "I love you" as a joke :)
Just another guy (well this one's from Belgium).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-9 20:49:15 |Display all floors

2 ways to say I love you...

Where I live comments like "I just love you" or "I love your hair" are not that big of a deal... kind of like telling a friend you like them.
Even the comment "every man will love you" may just mean that he thinks many men will find you or your new hair attractive.
Yes sometimes westerners will over use the word "love" It's what we call a figure of speech.
Like "I just love my new jacket" or "I love my new car" or "I love going to the sea"
It's just something we say in our culture. But generally the meaning has a lot to do with the situation...
If you are sitting one on one and look into one another's eyes and then a guy says he loves you, then he means he love you with his heart.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-9 21:51:59 |Display all floors

c'mon for a change...

yes, i am a laowai & i keep saying that lovely phrase to my fiancee all the time, and i hardly hear she saying that to me...deep down inside i know this woman of mine is deeply loving me...just don't why she doesn't say it  to me (she's not afraid of me kissing her in the public places).  but she says to me, "we're chinese & don't say these things out loud like that".  for her, love is in the air & i don't need to say it to her just breath in the air & i will have LOVE from her.  and i love this woman to death.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-9 22:31:47 |Display all floors
pjtran where are you from?
yes we chinese girls are shy to say "I love you" maybe she loves you sooo much but ,she will not always that words!This is chinese culture~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-10 15:38:34 |Display all floors
Was he come from the other country except chinese?
I suggest that you can feel with your heart  to pick up the real meaning.....
May be a bad idea..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-11 09:29:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by widehorse at 2007-5-10 15:38
Was he come from the other country except chinese?
I suggest that you can feel with your heart  to pick up the real meaning.....
May be a bad idea..

yes, if i pick up the real meaning from my heat, that is  a bad meaning , so i feel unfortabale! cos we do not know each other very well, and may be that is a complimen

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.