Author: irishinuk

Breaking: Over 30 Virginia Tech students reported dead in university shooting [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-17 09:29:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by myfriend at 2007-4-17 09:04

Don't blame it on Hollywood.  Americans have been making wars around the world for a long long time.  Yankees made other people slaves, and they sold and traded humans as goods. That was well b ...

Get real would ya!

There is no nation and no people that didn't war on someone in their history -- the Mongolian invasion was just one example from Asia, but your history is full of warring with each other as well, and a changing of dynasties was just one result of that. Don't be so simple-minded and watch who you call cunning -- I have millet and guns, and I have knowledge and I know how to apply it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-17 09:30:52 |Display all floors

Tragedies waiting to happen, and again.

Thank you emu for your support in the aftermath of this tragedy. We are still vague on details and no blame should be slotted to anyone until then. Two things are certain :

#1.  The freely availability of guns and firearms in the States. I know, I know the old hoary chestnut argument that "  guns don't kill, only people kill ". People with knives would have killed many less lives. The responsible hobby shooters are not the problem, it is the crooks and mentally deranged or just depressed. It is your country and it is your call. From afar, the cause and effect is so stark one shudders to see that Americans are missing the wood for the trees.  Mush less gun deaths in Australia and UK even on per head population.

#2.  That American gung-ho culture which is worsening : everything has the same solution , bang bang. There is irrefutable medical evidence that when children grow up being bombarded with an avalanche of violent, sexual , anti-social attitudes and actions on TV, in books and in movies, they grow up being immunized against pain and suffering ( especially that of others ). Video games of " kill kill kill " translate into imagery deaths with no consequence. ( Sometimes the dead come back alive  ). This unfortunate attitude leads to violence and depression. Mental health network is rotting or rotten and this is where early depression and self harm ( plus psychopathic ) ideations are missed and go untreated. This sort of tragedy is the natural outcome of that volcanic eruption at the end. Suicide or homicide , or both.

Condolences to the victims and their families.  Do something the government. There are potential " next ones " round the corner.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-17 09:41:43 |Display all floors
Erin Sheehan was one of four people able to walk out of her 9:05 German class in room 207 Norris Hall.

"It's a small class, about 25 people," she said. "And I would say no more than 2 people didn't show up, were absent. And of those of us that were in there today, only four of us walked out of that room, but two of us had been injured during the shooting," Sheehan said.

"It seemed so strange," Sheehan said. "Because he peaked in twice, earlier in the lesson, like he was looking for someone, somebody, before he started shooting. But then we all heard something like drilling in the walls, and someone thought they sounded like bullets. That's when we blockaded the door to stop anyone from coming in."

"He was just a normal looking kid, Asian, but he had on a Boy Scout type outfit. He wore a tan button up vest, and this black vest, maybe it was for ammo or something."

"I saw bullets hit people's body," Sheehan said. "There was blood everywhere. People in the class were passed out, I don't know maybe from shock from the pain. But I was one of only four that made it out of that classroom. The rest were dead or injured." She described.

"My professor, Herr Bishop," Sheehan said, "I'm not sure if he's alive."

Philip Kai Seward, who started a Facebook group back in August about the William Morva incident described his closeness to the events of today.

"I started phoning around to some of my friends," Seward said, "And eventually I got in touch with Erin."

"She told me she was one of just a few people to make it alive out of a class room that got attacked."

"I picked her up from the Blacksburg Police Department just a while ago, but when she first told me what had happened I thought it was all a bad joke," Seward said.

"It was all just a surreal moment," Seward said. "When I realized it wasn't."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-17 10:14:00 |Display all floors

Reply to Cyborspook #8

Originally posted by cyberspook at 2007-4-16 16:28
here we go again another knee jerk reaction for gun control coming up , in the UK and australia we have some of the strongest gun laws in the world , all brought about by a knee jerk reaction to th ...

Let's just look at this case. The killer has no previous criminal record. He could be as normal as you and me. Obviously he snapped. And he went to the gun shop, bought two guns and bunch of bullets. And then the rest is history. Mass killing is just as easy as that. Anybody can do it.
About having gun for protection. Are you kidding me? Then tell me why there ain't some good gun owners had stopped him? So are you telling me in order to protect ourselves, everybody shall carry a gun?
In UK, I rarely heard people were gun down, mostly knifed. And the death rate is far less than in the US.
When boys are young, they love to play with toy guns, tanks, bombs. Even many of the American heroes-- the soldiers from Iraq, admit that war is addictive, carrying gun and powerful weapon make them feel like god.Human nature is violent, period.
Don't merely blame the culture. It just plays out human's demons inside.
Better campus security? Don't the American schools nowadays already look and feel like jails? Even we secure all the schools, what next? Malls, thearters, restaurants, amusement parks...? Does it worth so much to keep the freedom of having loaded guns?
The number of death toll in each case is increasing faster and faster. I am sure it won't be the last case if no major changes made in gun-possession-law.
It is sad day for America, the land of the free (to kill).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-17 10:25:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by holidays at 2007-4-17 10:14

It is sad day for America, the land of the free (to kill).  ...

Interesting, summary.

A sad day for all those that are judgemental and full of spite, hate and lack of knowledge and understanding, how's that?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-17 10:31:13 |Display all floors

Reply to eighty eight

Originally posted by eightyeight at 2007-4-16 22:25

Interesting, summary.

A sad day for all those that are judgemental and full of spite, hate and lack of knowledge and understanding, how's that?

Maybe put more content to support your claim than just name calling me?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-17 10:33:08 |Display all floors

Get real and face it now

Originally posted by eightyeight at 2007-4-17 09:29

Get real would ya!

There is no nation and no people that didn't war on someone in their history -- the Mongolian invasion was just one example from Asia, but your history is full of warrin ...

Face it now.  The Washington government has been the role model of a killer.  American young people are desensitized just as you are.  You guys feel nothing when a foreigner is killed.  You are heart-less.  Some of you may even call yourselves "Christians". That's very cute.

Look around the world today, who's doing the killings?  In Sudan, they kill.  In Iraq, Americans kill.  Shame on you Americans.

[ Last edited by myfriend at 2007-4-17 10:37 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.