Author: irishinuk

Breaking: Over 30 Virginia Tech students reported dead in university shooting [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-20 04:11:46 |Display all floors
Cho was not a threat to anyone.

Cho was never arrested for any crime.  Cho voluntarily agreed to a mental evaluation, which found him competent.  The university met weekly with police, health officals, and counselors, but the university is silent on whether Cho as ever discussed at those meetings after his release.

Yet the university is portraying Cho as a renegade lunatic.  Why?  Because the issue is not about Cho anymore.  The only thing left to decide is how much the university will pay to the parents of all the victims, including Cho's, for not using the existing procedures and resources to adequately manage a student's mental health condition.  The university does not want the debate to go in that direction, so they keep talking about Cho.

Cho never resisted any attempt to cooperate.  Cho never resisted any effort made to help him.

Only the university can prevent the next shooting episode, but they will not unless their inaction and bungling are held to scrutiny in civil court through a lawsuit by all the parents.

[ Last edited by matt605 at 2007-4-20 06:36 AM ]
龙年顺顺利利

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-20 04:33:35 |Display all floors
"Cho was not a threat to anyone."
The two girls who were allegedly stalked by him would have a much different opinion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-20 04:53:44 |Display all floors
Not so.

The girls who received unwanted text messages, phone calls, and visits from Cho both said that Cho was merely an annoyance.  

It is not surprising to see people make Cho an evil person over nothing but his non-conformity.  Cho became so unpopular with his fellow students over the things he wrote that they boycotted the class he was attending, Still, Cho had not and did not threaten anyone with anything.

The university wants to the attention to be on Cho because the university wants to avoid legal resonsibilty for the massacre.  However, because the university failed to use existing policies and resources to help manage the student's mental health issues, it is the university that is responsible for the actions taken by Cho after he became mentally incompetent to control his own behavior.

Only with a costly, public court case will universities change and look out for the safety of all students.

Why do you oppose the promotion of good health and safety on college campuses in America?
龙年顺顺利利

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-20 06:04:00 |Display all floors
The reports I heard suggested they were more then just "annoyed".
And the police were called in.
Not usually warranted in simple annoyance cases.

"Why do you oppose the promotion of good health and safety on college campuses in America?"
WTF
Where did I say that?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-20 06:25:02 |Display all floors
Partially right.

Police aren't ususally needed in simple cases of annoyances, but because the annoyer is a weird Asian guy, the girls called the campus police immediately.  I don't know whether the girls were also Aisan or if they were of European descent, but I do know that white females are much less tolerant of minority males who seek to waste their time.  Both women agreed contemporaneously to the incidents that Cho was only an annoyance.

As far as campus satefy is concerned, you must realize that when the crisis and the numbers are as big as they are, a university is no longer a beloved alma mater of higher education and fond memories of youth.  A university where 33 students are killed in an insane ramapge is about as warm and fuzzy as a tobocco company underneath.

If you side with accountibility and better safety for students, then you must first side with Cho.  Anything less does not allow the university to improve.

龙年顺顺利利

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-20 06:52:15 |Display all floors

Reply #206 emucentral's post

Cheers JB

The answer that I have not heard by this time after the killings is what  I have heard from the Amish famillies in the States "forgive and forget" any reminder of the open wounds that were created on that horrible day are only made out of journalistic negligence,  no words denouncing others concerning the affair should be made by people ready to bury their dead.

[ Last edited by broken_heart at 2007-4-20 06:54 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-20 07:36:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by changzhou007 at 2007-4-20 05:42
If the killer was original from the UK or France and grown up in the US, would you think the western media will point the finger at UK or France? ...

I don't believe they pointed the finger at South Korea, did they?
If the gunman was from the UK or France, then of course this would be reported by the US media, in the same way that the fact that this guy was Korean, was reported.

Originally posted by desperado123 at 2007-4-19 15:51
South korea:three reations to the shooting tragedy

after U.S. confirmed identification of the gunman , the news stirred a great shock on every South Korean .but there are different reactions to the incident. the following  3 are very typical :
one , we(SK) feel sorry for the victims and should apologize to American people   

I don't believe South Korea has anything to apologise for.
Obviously as friends of the USA they offer their condolences, and as the shooter's family may have relatives in SK, it is of more than usual interest to South Koreans, but I don't believe an apology is due from South Korea.
Neither would it have been necessary for China to apologise if it had been a Chinese gunman, or for the US to apologise had it been an American shooter in another country.
It was the tragic outcome of a sick individual, ethnicity irrelevant.

Originally posted by broken_heart at 2007-4-20 08:52
The answer that I have not heard by this time after the killings is what  I have heard from the Amish famillies in the States "forgive and forget"  ...

The victims of this shooting have many different cultural backgrounds and origins, from America, China, Canada, Latin America,Vietnam, Europe, India,Indonesia, Puerto Rico & Egypt.
They are not Amish, they will be going through their own private grief at the moment and may not be able to respond in the way you suggest. Who can blame them for that.

[ Last edited by emucentral at 2007-4-20 09:47 AM ]
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.