Views: 6727|Replies: 15

Do you miss English publications when living in China? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-12 20:11:12 |Display all floors
I missed shopping for English language novels, browing through the various English language magazines....when I live in China. They became precious gems. I missed articles that provide exciting and thought-provoking viewpoints on world current affairs, from health to politics, from religion to environmental issues. I read the Chinese papers often but somehow I find I am not in the loop unless I have been through a Newsweek.

Sad to say, I have not found a Chinese publication that offers the same satisfaction.

Do you miss them? How do you adjust yourself in this?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-18 14:23:35 |Display all floors
log onto http://www.amazon.co.uk with your credit card together with a pingying version of your address in China.

But you will find large bookshops in Chinese citys that have English language sections.

Haven't got a solution for the Daily rag - try watching Channel 9.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-18 14:43:48 |Display all floors
Actually I don't miss them at all. I've been here 7 months and haven't read an english magazine except the ones that tell if any interesting events are going on that I might like to go to.
I never watched the news or read the paper in the US, and I also don't do it here. I look at a little bit of news online, and I told a friend or two back in the US, "if there's anything huge and serious I should know about, assume I don't know and please tell me."

Oh, I did read two short novels - one was my son's, and one (not so short) was a gift from a friend. I enjoyed them both, but found myself addicted to them. I read them very quickly, in only a few days each. I'd stay up at night laying in bed reading and reading, unable to put it down and go to sleep. So the next day I was tired from lack of sleep.

Although I enjoyed them, I'd rather spend that time emailing family or learning chinese.

Are you in BEIJING? If so, I might have a small suggestion or two about where to find english books & magazines.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-18 15:00:06 |Display all floors
why you click English news website? it can tell the newest news at the first time

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-25 13:23:08 |Display all floors
Reading the english novel and magazines is a cheerful experience
The way to buy these novels and magazines is so scarcity that I can not read articles in time.
I also missed the happy time reading novel and magazines written in English, and the thought-provoking articles in them.
Hope more and more English publication come out

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-25 15:53:46 |Display all floors

Reply to freakyqi #3

No I am not in Beijing, but if I land there again I will seek you out!

Everytime I leave China and go overseas, and I read the magazines and articles, I would have the feeling that "oh no, I have missed out so much on the progress and development on the world".  In China, I feel as if time had stood still.

I am tired of Taiwan and Tibet and Japan's relations with China. They are the same old things with no breakthroughs like same old women gossiping and complaining and howling. I am looking for news related to humanity, environement, science, social issues of the world that affects me as an individual, and of something I can act upon. In China, I feel I am just an observer, a useless ghost perpetually waiting for somebody else to act.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-25 21:49:55 |Display all floors
I agree with Sandysea - what's wrong with websites? As far as I know, Newsweek puts all of its content online, and it's not blocked from China so you can just take out a subscription and read exactly what you would at home. I get my international news and comment from the Times just like I would if I was still in England.
Chinese flashcards for mobile phones - http://www.ironfrost.co.uk/flashcards

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.