Reply #14 liangzai's post

LMAO...

Nice menu, where'd you get it from?
What does the "f*ck" intended for??  *very curious*

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-16 23:35:39 |Display all floors

Picture tells a thousand words

Well, I don't think merely pinyin will be enough. I think:

(Item Num.) DISH NAME IN CHINESE - Pin4 Yin1 (1,2,3,4 each represents the tone to aid in pronunciation) or simply Pinyin
                       Dish name in English
                       Descriptions in english containing cooking style and taste.

Most efficiently, put a clear but REALISTIC picture next to it.

For me, looking at the menus can be very entertaining most of the time but could also be quite frustrating. Very often you could tell that they just translate word by word probably with some translation software...

There should be some committee who helps the restaurants or other service providers to translate what they need properly.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-25 16:48:05 |Display all floors
The best way to solve this problem, I think, is to make their names simple and then explain the dishes to foreigners. Moreover, all restaurants in Beijing should unify the names of dishes, or foreigners can not distinguish the dishes in different restaurants.
The more knowledge you acquire, the happier you life will be!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-17 09:45:11 |Display all floors

What school did that

Originally posted by liangzai at 2007-4-14 01:12

Bull. You just need a good dictionary and someone who knows English. Any foreigner who has a working command of Chinese would do, but they are never asked to assist in translations. Furthermore ...

translator graduate from?

Remember Westerners need to know the chilli and spice levels

We dont like - cow gizzards, chicken feet, cat, dog, cardboard, or monkeys brains so don't serve it to us.

What a cultural mess this will be next year !! I can wait for the explosions!!
°★·°∴° ☆.·°∴°.☆°★°∴°

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-19 11:24:01 |Display all floors

Some Chinese dishes Name

China is a country famous for poems and many Chinese dishes are given poetic names that evoke emotions and visions.
The names of many Chinese dishes are translated literally into English, though these English words might not make any sense at all.
I've  just found some of them which may help u ~~~

宫保鸡丁 (gōng bǎo jī dīng )Gongbao Chicken Cubes
There are some mystiques that surround the origin of certain recipe names. Comparatively, it is a clear name for one can grasp the main stuffe- chicken cubes from its name. It's common knowledge that this dish is named after an official; however, from there it all gets rather murky. It is the most popular dish among foreigners, most of whom likes the crisp peanut

狮子头 (shī zǐ tóu )Lions-Head Shaped Meat Ball
Shizitou? A worse translation is the heads of lions. What is it like when it is served on tables? OK. It’s not horrible at all, on the contrary, it is tantalizing. Anyway, ask which kind of meat is the ball made of, pork, beef or others? There are usually two kinds of ways to make it, 红烧 (hongshao)and 清蒸 (Qingzheng), the former is also known as the braised on, and the latter the steamed on.

There're more Chinese dishes name at  http://www.foreignercn.com/index ... ews_itemid_481.html
Good Luck~~
20060531102336.jpg

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.