Author: voice_cd

How to say Chinese dishes in English - simply and clearly? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-16 14:23:49 |Display all floors
It is very hard to translate all chinese menu in English. In cuizine culture, there are lots of differnces between China and Western country. for some simple dish, you can name it in English according to its ingredients and cook method. Maybe, when the foreigners order it, the waitor can give a simple explanation. However, for some sophicated dishes with complicated cooking method, if you translate it in English, I think it very hard to understand for foreigners. They will be very confused about such dish. In this case, I think it is better to name it in Pinyin. To let foreigners have a clear understanding of our affliuent cuizine culture, more employees in hospitality indstury should be given more training on how to introduce the Chinese dishes to westerners.  Particulary, with 2008 Olmpic Games fast approching, a large number of foreingers will rush to China for this great events, the personnel in hospitality industry should pay much more attention to it .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-18 18:09:25 |Display all floors
I think we can use pictures to explain these
aoyun1.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-21 09:19:22 |Display all floors
typical local dishe and specialty of China

http://www.chinesefolkculture.com/LocalDish_Specialty.asp

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-24 08:45:11 |Display all floors
:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-24 11:54:16 |Display all floors

I think

the menu is post #14 is just perfect

foreingers will love it

that restaurant will soon be the most busy in Beijing or whereever

Don't feel bad about being laughed at

when Chinese people cry with laughter at my pronunciations of words in their language

I am just happy to be bringing them so much joy

"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-24 14:08:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by voice_cd at 2007-4-12 15:29
Beijing has corrected over 6,500 traffic signs and will next target other public facilities including toilets, museums, hospitals, sports venues and restaurant menus in an endeavor to weed out bad  ...

Pls note some words don't have an English equivalent!

In that case, the original chinese words must be retained.

& the reader to interprate or finds it's meaning.
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-25 14:55:57 |Display all floors
is it necessary to give uniform names for regular dishes or famous ones in English? For those cannot be translated, just give explanations after the distinctive interesting names?
we need more advice from english native speakers.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.