Author: voice_cd

China, Japan Agree on Strategically Reciprocal Ties [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-12 15:06:52 |Display all floors

Premier Wen Jiabao jogging in Tokyo, chatting with the locals.

Premier Wen Jiabao visiting TOKYO, jogging with locals.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-12 15:10:19 |Display all floors

Premier Wen Jiabao in Tai-chi exercises

Premier Wen Jiabao doing tai-chi morning exercises in a Tokyo park..jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-12 15:15:35 |Display all floors

May I quote a comment from our "Sammy" ...

Sammy  (2007-04-12 14:22)

The wisdom of the Orient is on the move and it is breaking international barriers, yes, the barriers of isolation, hypocracy, prejudice, suspicion, and even ignorace.

These barriers are being broken by dialogue, communication, diplomacy and a simple meeting of the minds, something that has been discarded and obscured in the past by evil people to promote their personal interests by creating hostilities, so that they have benefited economically at the expense of others.

---  Sammy, who still believes that all can be resolved though the meeting of the minds.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-12 20:44:05 |Display all floors

One thing of note

Wen said he acknowledged (not sure on the exact word) Japanese apologies to date over the war. So does this mean that even though he wants Japan to "do more", he accepts Japan has apologised? Because the most common complaint on this (and other forums) is that Japan hasn't apologised.

What do other people think of Wen's comment?
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-12 21:07:38 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mencius at 2007-4-12 20:44
Wen said he acknowledged (not sure on the exact word) Japanese apologies to date over the war. So does this mean that even though he wants Japan to "do more", he accepts Japan has apologised? Because the most common complaint on this (and other forums) is that Japan hasn't apologised.

It depends on how you see the word 'apology'.

The Japs said sorry yesterday, pay respect to the war criminal today, express regret tomorrow and then deying sex slaves the next day.
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-12 21:15:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by northwest at 12-4-2007 13:07

It depends on how you see the word 'apology'.

That's not an answer - do you agree with his comments or not? Because the official position of the Chinese government now seems to be that Japan has apologised.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-12 21:24:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mencius at 2007-4-12 22:44
Wen said he acknowledged (not sure on the exact word) Japanese apologies to date over the war. So does this mean that even though he wants Japan to "do more", he accepts Japan has apologised? ...

There were some interesting comments by some Chinese and Japanese schoolchildren on the BBC website.  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6545085.stm

CHEN YAJING, 15, BEIJING
I have been learning about Japanese history for three years. I think that they should be ashamed that the history they teach is distorted.

However, there are a lot of good things about Japan, like Japanese technology and comics, so I am a bit confused whether to like or hate Japan.
I still feel that the Japanese government isn't right. They shouldn't be so hypocritical regarding history; they just keep denying the facts. I can never forgive them. No matter how good their comics are, how strong their technology is, this history will not fade away.

JUNKI ISHIMURA, 13, TOKYO
I have two Chinese friends at school. They're both quite rebellious. If the teachers tell them off for something they will say they didn't do it.
We've learnt that Japan fought a war with China and colonised parts of the country. Sometimes the Japanese were a bit cruel, forcing places to adopt Japanese names and forcing people to adopt the Japanese language. But we didn't really get into the details of what actually happened. I feel my understanding of the war is a bit thin.
In middle school we've learnt more about trade between the two countries.

The Chinese people seem to hold grudges from the war against the Japanese though. I learnt about this mostly from the news. I feel there is less anti-Japanese sentiment these days.

I totally understand why the Chinese hold grudges but the situation should be improved little by little. Japan and China should have a relationship like the one Japan has with the US.

ZHONG TIANYI, 12, BEIJING
I've been learning about Japan for a few years now. What I remember best is how they invaded China.

The history book I'm studying now has quite a few chapters about Japan's invasion and how they started the war.

The dates we should remember are 7 July, the Marco Polo Bridge Incident, marking the beginning of Japanese invasion, and 18 September when they took control of some major Chinese cities.

There are also chapters about how they massacred people in Nanjing and how they forced Chinese people to accept Japanese culture and language.

I think the Japanese are bad, they are not loyal to anyone. They used to have a similar cultural system to China, and now they say they have a similar cultural system to the Western world.

I've learnt that there are good things about them as well, they are good at learning from others, for example. I like some things about Japan, like technology and comics. I liked the comic book Slam Dunk very much, it was so well executed.

KASUMI KOJIMA, 15, TOKYO
I think China is important for Japan. We are neighbours, lots of Japanese people travel there on holiday and trade between the two countries is becoming more and more important.
Neighbouring countries should cooperate and get on with each other. It's safer.

Japan and China have different cultures. There are problems, of course, and I can understand why the Chinese would not have favourable feelings towards the Japanese.

They should talk more about the issues they have and resolve them one by one. They can't leave things unresolved.

At school I learnt that Japan went to war with China for money. I think that was really bad. It was Japan who did most of the bad things.

The old textbooks, the ones that generations before me studied from, taught that Japan was a good country and that others were bad. The textbooks have now been changed.

In the old days they presented the wrong facts. For instance they said that North Korea was colonised because it was a bad country. My history teacher told us about this.

WANG HONGYANG, 14, BEIJING
I've been learning about Japanese history for three years. The history I've been taught is mainly about how the Japanese bullied us. It's all horrible, but the Japanese people I know are quite nice.

I've been to Japan, my uncle and aunt studied there. They tell me that the Japanese people are really kind. So I really couldn't tie any part of the horrible history to Japanese people.

I really liked Japan, the quality of the things I bought there is so good.

People treated me nicely, but I do think there is some discrimination against the Chinese. After all, we are behind them in terms of development. And because of their distorted history text books, young Japanese don't favour us Chinese. They think we're just nagging them about the history.
The history can never change, we can't adore everything about Japan blindly, and we have to keep our moral integrity. I think we can forgive them for what they did if they treat us with the right attitude. If they keep denying everything and not showing sincerity, then there's nothing we can talk about anymore.

I love Japanese comics. They are the best. No one else in the world could beat Japan. China's comics are just so far behind and the Chinese have prejudices about people who like comics - people would think you are not serious about your studies.

So, what's the lesson from these kid's thoughts?
Well it seems the Japanese kids are taught that their country did wrong to China and the Chinese still bear a grudge, but the Japanese want to improve relations. The Chinese kids, while they like the Japanese people they've met and enjoy Japanese goods and entertainment, appear to be taught that Japan did wrong to China and that they should still bear a grudge.

[ Last edited by emucentral at 2007-4-12 11:25 PM ]
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.