Views: 4099|Replies: 5

Wen kicks off 'ice-thawing' visit to Japan [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-11 16:41:07 |Display all floors
TOKYO -- Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao arrived in Tokyo Wednesday for a three-day official visit he described as an "ice thawer" of Sino-Japanese ties following the "ice-breaking" trip to China last October by his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe.

The visit is the first by a Chinese premier since 2000 and occurs against the backdrop of the two countries working hard to mend relations.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-04/11/content_848462.htm

Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao waves before his departure for Japan at a military airport in Songnam, south of Seoul April 11, 2007. [Reuters]
xin_430404111619739897424.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-11 17:02:02 |Display all floors
I hope Uncle Wen will voice our concern to the Japanese leaderships. Tell them to stop visiting the Yakusuni Shrine!
xurfnet.blogspot.com

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-11 17:30:10 |Display all floors
Surely, he will.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-11 20:10:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by admchengho at 2007-4-11 17:02
I hope Uncle Wen will voice our concern to the Japanese leaderships. Tell them to stop visiting the Yakusuni Shrine!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-11 20:21:23 |Display all floors
I am proud of my motherland,China.
Coming as I did from a family with no income at all,and with no prospects whatever,college was the narrow door that led darkness into light.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-12 07:16:07 |Display all floors
I am pessimistic on this one, as Abe Shinzo is possibly the most stupid premier Japan has seen in modern times. For those who may not know, Abe was personally in charge of the text book reform which suggested some school book revisions to historical facts. And soon after being elected, Abe insulted the few remaining former comfort women in Korea, China and the Philippines by retracting from a previous (half-hearted) apology for the atrocities commited during the war. Abe has tried to appease his conservative core voters, but in actuality no one in Japan understands what his phony rhetoric is all about; he is on a slippery slope downhill.

Abe has also said that it doesn't matter if the US Congress will make a resolution about the comfort women. He simply doesn't care; for him, the need to save Japan's face is greater than taking responsibility for committed atrocities. The US has been somewhat reluctant to criticize Japan, since Japan has had troops in Iraq. But since those are now withdrawn and as the US Iraq policy is slowly changing, America will have less tolerance for Japan's outrageous behavior.

Japan will remain the foremost US ally in the region. For the US, Japan is the key to controlling China, a kind of check and balance for East Asian stability.

On the other hand, as long as Japan is allowed by Western allies to revise history and get away with its crimes, China will have an excuse to maintain its similar policies (and as a foreigner, that is my main critique of China).

Therefore, this visit will not thaw anything at all. It may confirm good trade relations and so on, but the underlying foundation of distrust will not change. It will remain until LDP loses power to some party committed to strengthen the ties with China and deal with history.

As dog and cat, ever in a fight.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.