Author: bigheadbaby

what books do they read??? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-20 08:13:32 |Display all floors
Originally posted by bigheadbaby at 2007-4-10 13:53
i am confused when i begin to read some english novels.
my aunt  asked me to read some works of shakespeare . and i also downloaded the audio book of his works. but there are too many words for me ...

I like Thomas Hardy's novels, especially, Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Jude the Obscure, The Return of the Native.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-20 11:26:19 |Display all floors
Originally posted by changzhou007 at 2007-4-20 08:13

I like Thomas Hardy's novels, especially, Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Jude the Obscure, The Return of the Native.

I just finished Tess of the d'Urbervilles,but it's Chinese version,hoho. And I'm reading Jane Eyre,also Chinese version. I plan to read the original articles after getting a whole outlook of the works. I think I may help me understand more about the works.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-20 12:23:47 |Display all floors
I just remembered another book by Roald Dahl that was turned into a movie: "Charlie and the chocolate factory" starring Johnny Depp who also starred in "Pirates of the Caribbean". Yakamashii, did you read that one too?

Talking of kids' books, anyone here remember the Enid Blyton series? As a child, I thought they were great.

hooiluangoh, I thought 'The Da Vinci Code' was a great book.  Totally absorbing, and "unputdownable".

The story has been developed so cleverly that at every moment you are asking, "What happens next?", and you just can't put down the book. And, the author adds a nice human touch at the end, with the unexpected reunion.

If you like adventure stories, Wilbur Smith has written some wonderful stuff. His "Ballantyne" series of novels is based in Africa. The first one in this series in particular, "A falcon flies", is a must-read. And also, "The leopard hunts in darkness" in the same series.

If you like contemporary non fiction, the Australian writer Bill Bryson has written some memorable stuff . "A brief history of nearly everything" talks about scientific discoveries and how they came about, and is particularly suitable for people who are not into science.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-21 10:55:20 |Display all floors
my opinion:
chose a book which depends on your most interest.
example for me , I am very interested in Biology, so i chose this book <<Essential of Life Science>>,it is a textbook edited by Wuqingyu - a professor of tsinghua - and translated to English version by a foreigner.
when to begin to practice reading, a novel is a good choice but not the most suitble one.
how to chose a proper book, it depends on which field you devote to and what you like the most.
also when begining to read,the first 5% of the book is the most difficult. For me ,i spended 3 months or more to finish the first 4 chapters(15 chapers total) ,but i persisted in reading everyday,then i do it.

www.chinadaily.com
www.nationalgeographic.com
thees two websites are my faverate,i at least read,copy,and translate one article each everyday.

[ Last edited by sumdewer at 2007-4-21 01:14 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.