Author: bigheadbaby

what books do they read??? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-15 17:55:08 |Display all floors
You've obviously been frustrated with trying to understand complex novels, considering that you said "goddame books".

That's because you started too high.

Start at a level where you can understand most of the language. Most Chinese seem to think that if they can understand something, it is "too easy" and "a waste of time". So they go for things that are way beyond them. They waste their time struggling to translate each sentence word by word. And they are unable to figure out what the sentence means even after they have found out the meanings of all the words in the sentence.  

So, I suggest you start with stories for children and young people. The writing styles would be simpler, and would help you build up your vocabulary and increase your confidence. You can progress upwards from there, to tackle increasingly complex language structures.  Read each story a few times, savouring the language used, without just rushing through it. Read the stories aloud too, so that you can not only see the words but also hear them.

Allow your confidence to build up, and enjoy the story rather than waste your time wrestling with complex sentence structures, vocabulary, grammar, idioms, etc all at once.

Roald Dahl is one children's writer I can think of. I remember one of his books, "Matilda", which was produced as a movie too, starring Danny De Vito.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-16 20:34:01 |Display all floors

thank you for help

i will . thank you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-17 09:30:46 |Display all floors

English language novels are non-existent in China

Sorry to hear your predicament.

I would say just grab any book, if the story is interesting you will want to read it through, even with the help of a dictionary.

Unfortunately in China, the choice of books you have is really very limited, unless you live in a city with foreign language bookstore.

Please start with something easy and entertaining, not some heavy books of literature.

I suggest Da Vinci Code, as it is more readily available than others, and you can also download it (haha talking about violation of intellectual property rights....)

My current favourite is Life of Pi, but I doubt you can find it in China....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-17 10:45:49 |Display all floors
sometimes i read Bible ,i think it is a very good book ,
it is  not only boost your english lever but also enlarge your knowledge

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-19 19:41:25 |Display all floors
Websites like www.librivox.org have free-to-download stories, in different categories along with audio files. So you can listen to the stories as you read them. You can have a look, and download some that you find interesting. Read and listen to each story a number of times, not just once. You will actually pick up something new with each repetition.

While teaching in China I had this young student who used to watch English movies so many times that he could repeat each and every line of dialogue as well as make the main background noises. And his English was pretty good. He had fun while learning English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-19 23:09:25 |Display all floors

Largen your vocabulary

There is no easy way for us, whose mother language is not english, to learn english well. Starting from the primary, from your interest, form the easy ones. Don't read those middle ages books we seldom use those kind of words today. Reading more newspapers like nytimes will help you a lot. By the way, leaving Shakespeare to the literati.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-20 04:50:42 |Display all floors

yes, roald dahl

OMG...i loved Matilda when i was little. i want her powers. hehe~

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.