Author: ronglimeng

Where did you learn these 'words'? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-11 00:47:53 |Display all floors
I have to say PJ, though your freshness is... fresh.... it's sometimes difficult to read your posts. It takes longer to read because the sentence structure and phrasing is not what our brains expect. Maybe I'm just old.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-13 10:18:58 |Display all floors
i dont think there is a huge problem with using those words when you are chatting. ofcourse, using them in essays and formal documents would be pretty stupid. as far typing are concerned, i rare cap any words or use apostrophes because i have gotten used to automatic correction from microsoft.
i used to use those words few years ago. as for where i learned it... i think i learned it from online. however, i never actually speak using those words.
In college alone and I am loving it. ^^

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-13 10:32:47 |Display all floors

It's ok

As long as you realize what you write for, who you speak to..............that's it! " Wanna, em' gotta' whatsoever.." which is just another way to make a good understanding and simplify conversation..............
cheers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-14 12:06:33 |Display all floors

I just "hang on" and my Lancaster friend burst out laughing

I met this very nice guy from Lancaster and we were dining at a local pub.
He asked me some questions about Asia and I blurted "hang on" as I rummaged my bag for a piece of paper that had the answer
"I didn't expect you to use "hang on"" he chuckled.

I supposed it is the same as when you see a Chinese say "wanna". I am so much more used to "want to", so when I see a "wanna" I just smile (I wanna invite you to my farewell lunch hahahahahaha)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-14 17:21:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ronglimeng at 2007-4-9 05:35
If I'm not mistaken, most Chinese people who learn English as a second or third or fourth language, seem to do so in a formal way, learning all kinds of grammar rules and the names of tenses...thin ...

This reminds me of some laowais who just blurt out chinese slangs even more casually than the native chinese speakers.

Once I heard a laowai who called a saleswoman JieMenr. (Another way of saying sister) Can it be more inappropriate?

Don't make fool of yourself really

[ Last edited by lovable at 2007-4-14 05:23 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-22 12:40:59 |Display all floors
indeed ,i agree with you.
in china,we only learn the writting english without oral english.
usually,we learn the grammar and vocabulary in the class,we don't have any chance to speak with the native english person,so we can only write in formal english.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.